Scarology

Most people who are given this assignment will choose to write about a physical scar. In a few minutes time, they will think of a four-wheeler crash that nearly gave their mom a heart attack, or a rough tackle on the football field that nearly sent them to the hospital.

“My sister pushed me off my bike,” one girl says, and another adds, “I fell off a tree as tall at Mount Everest and broke my arm, which gave me this scar.”

And when it is my turn to talk about my scar, the class soon realizes that mine is unlike theirs in many ways.

“My scar is different than the others presented today,” I began, “because my scar can’t be healed by a single person, or over the course of a year.”

“Sixth grade is about the time when we really start to define ourselves -- as rebels, straight-A students, or free-thinkers. Some choose that as the year to get fit, others choose that as the year to ‘go green’. I chose sixth grade as the year to pay attention to the world around me -- and the problems within it.”

“Every day, a new, more tragic story appeared within the pages of the 'Daily Journal'. A family of 5 in Africa died of malaria disease, one right after the other. A four-month-old baby girl named Mira-Lynn was kidnapped from her Serbian home, never to be seen again. The Twin Towers fell and killed thousands of people on September 11, 2001. Reading and hearing about these experiences made me think about if it had been me in those situations. It caused me to want to make a difference.”

“Still, I feel saddened when I see a report of someone dying before their spirit was due to leave. Unlike physical scars, mine cannot be healed by a certain person or period of time. And I don’t think the scars etched on the surface of my heart will ever dissipate until the things that cause them -- like war, world pain, murder -- are no more.”

“Everyone interprets pain differently. Sometimes a scar of the heart can be much deeper than on gathered from a four-wheeler crash or a hard tackle in football. They can remain long after you have left your corporeal being, while physical scars will be gone the moment you depart from this world. These scars become a part of your spirit and tend to linger after the event takes place.”

“My scar is different than the others presented today because mine will last forever,” I finished, and with that, I took my seat.

Katsview This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good job! I really felt this piece, because I have lots of emotional scars, as shown in one of my written pieces, Empathy. I thought you captured it really well :)

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 12:18 am
also to the author, congragulations it seems like you have a very supportive family from the comments, and considering you feel this type of pain from time to time you might need it, good piece too,  i relate

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
and now these scars fr 9/11 will be reopened and have salt poured into as they attempt to build a mosque on ground zero!!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 12:16 am
ill leave the author to say his piece on this but giving in to that type of hate and ignorance kills the soul

elfiewrites said...
Excellent work! I love your writing style, and your strong voice. Please, if you get the chance comment on my article, "Is There Reason?"

pinksage33 said...
This is great!!!

Sophie said...
This is awesome! You are wise beyond your years. How come you never showed me this sooner, eh? :-)

Jencrm22 said...
Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:10 am
Megan - that was awesome! Great job!!!! I'm sending it to everyone I know.

mamiriam said...
is AWESOME Megan.and very good written.

gcanary said...
I am so very proud of you. I think we have an author in the making. Please continue to write and to follow your dreams. You are loved by more people than you can ever know. Love you. Uncle Gregg.

A said...
Megan Wow and this is just the beginning for you ! Megan are a very intelligent Young Lady continue to express your inner thoughts !

aunt julie said...
Way to go Megan!! That is excellent and so very well written. I am proud of you. You are intelligent! Keep up the great work! :)

A said...
Megan, This just fantastic ! Megan you are such an intelligent

Tammy~logans/mommy said...
Great job megan!! you are wise beyond your years! keep up the good work!!

Alivia's mom said...
Wow Megan this is exceptional! I see the tru poise of a writer. Very proud and excited for you

Papaw said...
Love ya babe Megan!

your grandma said...
Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:40 am
I think this was excellent and very proud of you!!

dustoff377sk said...
Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:21 am
Megan very well written. I am proud of you!!!

thatcrystal said...
Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:28 am
You. Are. Awesome.

Amanda said...
Wow! What a profound and thought-provoking piece of writing. You're wise beyond your years. ;)So proud! Love ya cuz~