Violence | Teen Ink

Violence

By Jessica_C BRONZE, Delray Beach, Florida
Jessica_C BRONZE, Delray Beach, Florida

If you take a look around, what things do you notice? Violence would have to be one. There are many things going on nowadays, but violence has to be in the top 5. When you look in the news you see things about kids doing some terrible things, many say "Wow, kids these days" or "that's ridiculous." But, does someone ever stop and think "why?" Because, I'm sure if we find out why there's so much youth violence going on, we would be able to find a way to stop it.

Could it be that they don't have someone to talk to? They might not have someone that they can talk to, so that act out and get the attention they have been craving, it may not be the good kind of attention, but then are still receiving the attention they wanted. There are times a person can have everything bottled up inside, and once they have had enough and reached their limit, they explode, and some express it buy doing the most surprising things. But can you blame them? After taking blows after blows, and exceeding what they can take, what else is there?

However, it can be because of society. Society isn't at its best right now, with fights going on, and stressful topics that are being spoken upon. On certain television shows, violence is proposed as something that makes you cool or above someone else, when in retrospect, it's just something idiotic. Some kids have friends that are doing these kinds of things as well. It may be peer pressure that has a lot of these kids hurting people, or just the assumption that it's cool. But, what if this child is going through something? It could have been something that got them upset or angry and they might just be trying to forget everything. Or they probably are growing up around violence, and they are just causing a lot, because it's all they know. But, what is there to expect? The world does have many appalling things going on.

Furthermore, there are people that just stand around and express how they feel about this topic. They don't help, they don't try to talk to these kids, and they don't try to do anything to stop this. That's why violence in general is spreading, and it's just going from place to place, until it finally affects the whole world, which it's already doing. Therefore, you get people talking about it, and there are some people that care and are taking charge, but there's just not enough.

Why can't we just come together? Why can't we just all care? Why can't we all just be friends? Why can't we stop youth violence? We can stop violence, we just have to work hard and focus, it may seem tough, but with each other, we can and we will end violence, just one step at a time.