Net Neutrality || The Internet We know | Teen Ink

Net Neutrality || The Internet We know

March 2, 2015
By Frank Cimino BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Frank Cimino BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Picture this a world where when your video buffers on youtube or netflix. That world might become a reality if the House of Representatives passes a bill proposed by the FCC to pass new Net Neutrality. Net Neutrality is the freedom of the internet is based on and it makes isps treat every site the same. Without Net Neutrality internet providers would be able to control speeds and bandwidth of sites by a slow lane and a premium “Fast Lane”. The Fast Lane’s speed would be the same speeds we have now. This fast lane allows the the isp to charge big people like netflix and google to access the “Fast Lane”. There needs to be net neutrality because if not the amount of data transformed by google and netflix would be slow and lower quality unless they paid for the Fast Lane.

   

If there was no net neutrality, the user experience would be crippled because sites like netflix and google send Terabytes of data,  a second to users and the lower bandwidth and speeds would slow down and even stop the ability to see hd video and other services. This would lead to the fall of the internet but with net neutrality it allows the internet to remain open and to grow unhindered. Net neutrality is essential for an open internet with competition and no monopolies,
   

People might say well sites should pay for the extreme amounts of data they use. If the isp have the power to charge certain people what they want what stops them from charging competing sites extreme amounts to use their networks. Take this example Comcast owns nbc and to stop competition they charge Fox news extreme amounts of money to use their network. This would essentially turn isps into the mob shaking down company's. Another example is look at this chart.


This chart shows changing in network download speeds for netflix. The huge dip in speed for comcast users was when comcast asked netflix to pay money for more speed and they refused  to. you can probably guess when they decided to pay. This shows that the companies would abuse this power and become the mobsters of the internet.


    As you can probably tell now net neutrality is needed. Net neutrality is extremely  important. The reason that it might go away is that the isp have influence in powerful places. To stop this we need to act. If you support net Neutrality please show it by sending emails to the fcc and the house of representatives showing that you care.
   

The Solution in the works is making the internet a type II utility, giving it the same regulation system as water and power. This would make the internet safe but if it does not the internet will die even if it is an essential part of our lives Please don't let the internet die.


Works Cited:
    "What Is Net Neutrality and Internet Fast Lanes, and Why Is Obama Stepping in Now? - Pocket-lint." Pocket-lint. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2015.
    "Open Internet." Open Internet. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2015.