Finding Justice in Ukraine | Teen Ink

Finding Justice in Ukraine

February 25, 2015
By Requirement BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Requirement BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ukraine is in turmoil. Rebels are trying to reunite Ukraine with Russia claiming that union will help Ukraine, while the government claims that Russia using the fighting to gain territory. Both Russia and the EU have competing interests regarding the region, escalating the conflict. While deciding the just thing to do is usually the UN’s job, the US and Russia won’t agree on a course of action, making it dysfunctional (again). As with most conflict in life, there isn’t a great answer, but the only way to have real justice is to allow the Ukrainians decide for themselves.

Russia’s actions, while scorned by EU and its allies, aren’t pure self-interest. Since the cold war, Russia and the western powers have competed for dominance of their region. In doing so, a buffer region was created where the two powers met. Influence in this region become important as it can block the others expansion while facilitating their own. Ukraine in particular “[holds] major geopolitical significance” (Taylor). The country is situated between Russia and the Baltic Sea, Russia’s only sea route to the Mediterranean. If Russia were to lose influence here, it risks both its naval trade and its protection from EU. Finally, many people in eastern Ukraine are Russian ethnicity. Therefore, Russia can claim to fight for their rights to express their opinions, even if those opinions include union with Russia. While Russia’s actions aren’t entirely fair, they do have some support.

While Russia isn’t a model of moral character, the EU isn’t much better. If Ukraine joins Russia, it would set a precedent encouraging future Russian expansion, a situation the EU and its allies wants to avoid. Thus, the EU and the US would like to “[maintain] Ukraine as a sovereign buffer state between Russia” (Mearsheimer). Secondly, while the western powers claims to act as a peace force, it can encouraging Ukraine to align with the EU if it leads the peace force. If Ukraine become part of the EU, it could expand the economic and political power of western Europe as a whole by granting easy access to locations like the Baltic Sea. While the EU argues that its fighting for peace, it has its own motivations in this conflict.

While both sides have some argument for their involvement, the ones bearing the brunt of the decision, the people of Ukraine, should decide for themselves. No matter how this conflict turns out, the people of Ukraine are the ones who will live with the result. Despite this, neither the government, nor the rebels can speak for the people. Many rebels aren’t from Ukraine such as the rebel leader “Alexander Borodai, a Russian citizen” (Smith-Spark). These people shouldn’t decide what Ukraine’s future should be. On the other hand, the government has had a history of corruption, and doesn’t have the sympathies of all Ukrainians. Thus, the citizens should decide their future without interference from either these groups. Unfortunately, similar to during the cold war, EU and Russian interests in the region ensure that this will never happen. Neither group wants to risk losing this region from the whims of the people, and aren’t likely to let the locals decide. Even if voting did take place under an actual ceasefire, the elections would likely be rigged by foreigners immigrating and local violence and intimidation. Thus, some side is likely to call into question the legitimacy of the elections like in those already held in “rebel-held eastern provinces of Ukraine” (Welsh). Finally, even if the elections were accepted, it won’t end the issue. Deciding a side now won’t mean opinions won’t change and that the EU and Russia will be satisfied with the result. This region’s strategic importance will keep both sides interested in it until they’re satisfied or unable to push further. Thus, allowing democracy to decide the outcome, while morally appealing, is naive and impractical. However, having elections will at least make both sides acknowledge that the Ukrainians should have a say in their countries future, encouraging the people to decide for themselves what they want and not simply be bullied around by the world powers. While democratic elections can’t solve the problems in Ukraine, they are a step in the right direction.

While finding justice for all is easy in literature and games, reality is rarely so simple. Ukraine is no different. Both the EU and Russia have some moral reasoning behind their actions, but neither side consider what the people of Ukraine actually want and instead only consider their own gains. The only course of action that can be called just is to allow the people to determine what they want their future to be.

Citations

Welsh, Teresa. "Defying the West, Russia Backs Ukrainian Elections." US News. U.S.News & World Report, 3 Nov. 2014. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.
Mearsheimer, John J. "Getting Ukraine Wrong." The New York Times. The New York Times, 13 Mar. 2014. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.
Taylor, Adam. "Why Ukraine Is So Important." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 28 Jan. 2014. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.
Smith-Spark, Laura. "Who Are Ukraine's Pro-Russia Rebels? - CNN.com."CNN. Cable News Network, 23 July 2014. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.