Terminating the Death Penalty | Teen Ink

Terminating the Death Penalty

By KelseaD BRONZE, New Freedom, Pennsylvania
KelseaD BRONZE, New Freedom, Pennsylvania

Dear Editor,

Each day consists of opportunities to make known our voices for those who cannot. Today, I speak in further encouragement of the seeking of justice; I ask for the 186 inmates in the state of Pennsylvania to no longer await execution in prison’s hot seats of death row. The continuation of the death penalty, a brutal and morally degrading law, should receive careful reconsideration due to the hefty expenses it accumulates and its lack of use in Pennsylvania within the past 15 years. As 18 states, including the District of Columbia have abolished the death penalty, it is time for the Keystone State to join the list.

Pennsylvania Governor, Tom Wolf, who recently took office on January 20th, promised his citizens an examination of the death penalty’s overall fairness and potentially a repeal of the law. As Berks County District Attorney John Adams states in the Reading Eagle, 12/14/14, “Definitely, the death penalty extremely strains our resources.” Additionally, the cost of the PA death penalty estimates around $350 million. Inspired by the neighboring state of Maryland, which issued a cost study resulting in the abolition of the law, a report was commissioned by PA legislators back in 2011; however, it was never carried out. According to The Patriot-News, 01/05/15, a recent cost study, sponsored by State Senator Stewart Greenleaf, calls it “historic.” Based on Maryland’s study which shows $2 million more towards those on death row rather than life sentencing, Pennsylvania could possibly save up to $370 million.

Millions of dollars are thrown away, so why should this inactive law remain? As I previously mentioned, the last execution in Pennsylvania occurred 15 years ago, and only 3 have taken place within the past 35 years. While the death penalty exists and yet lacks enforcement, what purpose does it serve? As time urges examination of outdated concepts and reformation of state finances, do not hesitate to speak up. Support our state leaders’ today in their commitment to seek brighter futures for Pennsylvania, saving money, time, and lives. Thank you.

Peace,
Kelsea D.

Scholarship Essay: I genuinely believe this law needs to change, and if people cannot understand the lack of morality on death row, then they hopefully can at least comprehend the negative economical effects it has on our communities.