Love is Louder | Teen Ink

Love is Louder

January 21, 2015
By Miss_Unpopular BRONZE, Kearns, Utah
Miss_Unpopular BRONZE, Kearns, Utah
1 article 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I think the most defining think in your life is not that you've fallen, but how you've gotten back up"
-Tyler oakly


Picture this, you've finally found the love of your life. You're standing at the marriage altar about to get married, starring in the eyes of your true love. Your love has the perfect personality, the cutest dimples, and the deepest blues eyes, everything you've ever wanted in a spouse. They’re the person you've always dreamed of. There’s just one problem, you’re not allowed to legally get married just because you have fallen in love with someone who’s the same gender as you. The topic I have chosen is same-sex marriage. Although I am Christian, I believe the same-sex marriage should be legal, because everyone deserves to be with the one they love. Same-sex marriage is a basic human right. Even the definition of marriage it not particular on gender, so why are we?

       

Although many people are against same-sex marriage, I believe that people should have the right to make a lifelong legal commitment to the one they want to spend the rest of their life with.  According to dictionary.com a marriage is, “The legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of two people to live as a married couple, including the accompanying social festivities.” If this is the definition of marriage, why are gay people not included in this? Just because they are gay does not mean they should have different rights than straight people.
  
         

Article 1 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states, “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” This means that there is no difference between straight and gay people. Just because we don’t agree on how marriage should be, we are all human. Therefore, no matter the topic we as a nation should all have the same rights.

     

A popular argument people use against homosexuality is that it is not biblical. Though this is true the bible also has many scriptures on judging people. “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven, Luke 6:37.” As well as, “There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor, James 4:12.” Just because someone is marrying someone of the same gender does not mean, people, you have the right to judge them.

        

I personally think it is terrible that people who have same gender attraction feel like they have to hide it in fear of being rejected or worse. We have the power to change this. If we accept them for who they are everyone would be a lot happier. And just because you are accepting doesn't mean you have to do the same thing as them. Every person deserves the same marriage rights.