Charlie Hebdo | Teen Ink

Charlie Hebdo

By DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire" Winston Churchill

On January 7th two gunmen broke into the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris, France and killed twelve people including eight of the papers workers and two police officers. Who would do this? Islamic extremist brothers Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi. The brothers were outraged that Charlie Hebdo printed political cartoons depicting Muhammad, the man Muslims believe was a prophet. Though the Quran does not have anything against drawing Muhammad a Hadith bans all depictions of “The Prophet Muhammad” and Muslims are deeply offended by them.

Muslim extremists bombed the Charlie Hebdo offices in 2011 in attempt to silence the paper and their cartoons but the writers, illustrators, and editors were not deterred. They continued to make themselves heard and refused to let those who use fear as a weapon force them to quit.

The workers at Charlie Hebdo are heroes. They refused to give up the fight against extremism even after they were bombed in 2011 and I doubt they will surrender after these attacks. They died for the principles of freedom and liberty. The remaining workers of Charlie Hebdo will be releasing another issue next month and I think you should find a way to get it and support a newspaper who doesn't back down to terrorists.   

The workers of Charlie Hebdo are heroes. 

on Jan. 18 2015 at 2:08 am

My article did not make any assertions that all Muslims are terrorists, only that the terrorists that attacked the peaceful magazine Charlie Hebdo were Muslim and highlighted that their motives came from their interpretations of Islam. You also need to realize that Freedom of Speech is the freedom to offend. Your feelings do not supersede my right to make myself heard. We can say that the attacks on Charlie Hebdo were wrong because if you have any sense of morality you'd know that murdering people for their ideas and words is wrong. I am deeply offended by your statement but here comes the shocker, I will use my words not my bullets to fight back.

on Jan. 16 2015 at 12:04 pm
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

This article has also upset people. Please think about everything for a few minutes, think about both sides, put yourself in our shoes. We cannot even think about disrespecting religious leaders like Jesus Christ or Moses because they were apostles in pur religion too. But Buddha wasn't. Nor do we believe in Hindu gods. But we respect their religion and do not express superiority towards them. We respect them. We learn about them. If you are so interested in this controversy, read the Quran. Then check out details of the magazine. Do not write an article that could offend Muslims or any person. I am speaking on behalf of the Muslim community around me, and this event and now, this article, has deeply offended us.

on Jan. 16 2015 at 4:51 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

I strongly disagree. Charlie hebdo has hurt the feelings of millions of Muslims. It has disrespected Islam. Muslims do not disrespect other religions because it is strictly forbidden. I believe that you do have the right to speech and freedom of speech but you cannot use your right to hurt others and crush minority rights. Muslims are a minority on France and their rights must be protected because places where Muslims are in a majority do protect the rights of minorities. They are respected not ridiculed or hurt. You cannot say that a religion is wrong or bad. You cannot assume that whatever that is being taught in a religion is wrong. Who are you to say so? This article has upset me and strong action should be taken against it. It is not fair to Muslims around the world. Even pope Francis is against click the magazine. He also mentioned religious tolerance being a vital part of every religion. And if you say that this was terrorism and all Muslims are terrorists, you are wrong. Many do not believe in the al-qaeda. Many Muslims have been killed by these extremists. But their action against Charlie hhebdomad only be judged by God. We cannot say it is right or wrong. However what the magazine has done is not only against religion buy also opposes rights and morals of the world we live in today.

randompeeple said...
on Jan. 16 2015 at 4:37 am
This is not correct. They are no heroes. They have offended millions of Muslims and deserves to be punished. I cannot speak on behalf of the al-qaeda who were in charge of the attack but what I can say is that it is forbidden in Islam to make any cartoons or photographs or depictions of any prophet. The punishment depends. Freedom of speech is given but you cannot use that freedom to hurt and offend people. You have not been given the right to hurt others. You do not have the right to offend minorities. Muslims are a minority in France, so should their rights not be protected if Christian minorities are protected in Muslim countries? How do you know what the Quran says? Are you Muslim? Do you not believe in tolerance and peace? Charlie hebdo intentionally printed such a controversial cover and they should have expected some sort of attack. The Muslim extremists will not sit sipping tea and let things happen. Only God can judge what is right or wrong. But we must respect other religions and races. Even pope FrancisIis against Charlie hebdo. I strongly disagree.