Charlie Hebdo | Teen Ink

Charlie Hebdo

January 11, 2015
By DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire" Winston Churchill


On January 7th two gunmen broke into the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris, France and killed twelve people including eight of the papers workers and two police officers. Who would do this? Islamic extremist brothers Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi. The brothers were outraged that Charlie Hebdo printed political cartoons depicting Muhammad, the man Muslims believe was a prophet. Though the Quran does not have anything against drawing Muhammad a Hadith bans all depictions of “The Prophet Muhammad” and Muslims are deeply offended by them.

Muslim extremists bombed the Charlie Hebdo offices in 2011 in attempt to silence the paper and their cartoons but the writers, illustrators, and editors were not deterred. They continued to make themselves heard and refused to let those who use fear as a weapon force them to quit.

The workers at Charlie Hebdo are heroes. They refused to give up the fight against extremism even after they were bombed in 2011 and I doubt they will surrender after these attacks. They died for the principles of freedom and liberty. The remaining workers of Charlie Hebdo will be releasing another issue next month and I think you should find a way to get it and support a newspaper who doesn't back down to terrorists.   


The author's comments:

The workers of Charlie Hebdo are heroes.