The Immigration Reformation | Teen Ink

The Immigration Reformation

December 5, 2014
By Bruno Gomez BRONZE, Hemet, California
Bruno Gomez BRONZE, Hemet, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The immigration reform has always sparked controversy, whether you support it whole-heartedly, or oppose it deep in your soul. Now whether if support it… or not I would like to ask you to read the entire article regardless of your opinion, and regardless of mine, not because I’m trying to say your opinion is wrong, or because I want to persuade you into joining my side of the riot, but because I feel that while some people know why they picked their poison, others are simply joining the bandwagon instead of making informed decisions. The immigration reform is something that needs to be passed because it will help our country and our communities by bringing knowledge, culture, and individuality.  


 In 1986 the immigration and control act was passed by President Reagan in an attempt to end the employment of any illegal workers. While some opposed this act the immigrants who proved that they had been a functioning, working, citizen were allowed to stay and became legal permanent  U.S. residents as long as they pay their taxes and submitted a fine. If the U.S. was going to allow just anyone to come into our country, I would disagree as well because while I would love for people around the world to have a better life, I know there are thieves and murderers out in the world, I am not ignorant or oblivious to it, after all it is all around us, because I know that if people get the opportunity to do or get something they want, they will however, note the fact I said functioning and working, because the immigrants who didn’t work, didn't go to school, didn't help society, those immigrants were sent back. The reform is not meant to allow just anyone to become a resident, it helps those who really believe that they have something to offer, something to benefit the country. They ensure this by making rules and regulations and standards and merits. Did you know that in order to be eligible for the Registered Provisional Immigrant program you need to have lived in the United States since December  1 of 2011, need to pass background checks, and can’t have any previous felony’s or misdemeanors? It is not an easy thing to do, and that’s what most people who oppose need to understand, the United States is not going to let everyone pass their border and become a resident, it takes work, time, and money to become legalized.


In 2010, 3,999,386 infants were born in the United States alone. 13,700 are born or develop cancer or HIV/AIDS every year in the United States alone. Every four seconds a child dies of a preventable cause, fifteen in a minute, 7.6 million die in a year. Picture a young foreign man or woman, deep skin, dark hair, speaks English and their foreign language fluently. Now imagine this young man or woman has the cure for cancer, AIDS, or HIV but because a piece of paper says he was born in Mexico or China or Germany he can’t because he won’t have access to the technology, books, teachers, even food they  will need in order to find it. South Korea ranked first in science in the O.E.C.D. rankings, the United States ranked seventeenth. After all cancer is the world’s leading cause of death. But still, many American’s refuse to support the Immigration Reformation because they don’t want “immigrants taking our jobs” when they may even be able to provide them.in 2012, 633,782 U.S. citizens were homeless in America, the land of opportunity. All some of the immigrants want to do is go to school and get a good education in our great country, while some grown men remain homeless because they dropped out of a free education they didn’t know how to appreciate and value.


Many American’s believe that the immigration reformation will bring thousands of criminals to America. But as I said earlier there are standards immigrants will have to meet in order to become a permanent U.S. resident. But let’s stop and think, what if it was the other way around? What if one day the United States decided and said you don’t help us in any way shape or form so we’re just going to kick you out, you have 180 days, and why not there are literally thousands of homeless people scattered across the United States, thousands of Americans and their families living off of E.B.T Food Stamps, and Welfare. Why? You might ask, because a piece of paper says that they were born in the United States of America and they can sit in their homes, not work, not go to school, and not benefit our country in any way, but still get tax payers money to live off of. The Registered Provisional Immigrant program says that when they become a permanent legal U.S. resident, they will pay taxes, taxes that will pay for these types of people, and I understand that some families really do need it but from past experiences I’ve noticed that every first of the month there are hundreds of people walking into grocery stores and buying T.V. dinners and junk food with their benefits that tax payers pay out of their pocket.


All in all, the Immigration Reformation is something that will honestly benefit the country in many ways. They will bring knowledge and innovation that will help us become the best like we should be. They will bring diversity and after all we are a country that was founded by immigrants to escape the oppression. As Edmund Burke said on his speech of conciliation with America, “Young man, there is America -- which at this day serves for little more than to amuse you with stories of savage men, and uncouth manners; yet shall, before you taste of death, show itself equal to the whole of that commerce which now attracts the envy of the world.”