The News Side on Gun Control | Teen Ink

The News Side on Gun Control

By patty44 BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
patty44 BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota

none

Why is it only the crimes committed with guns are in the news, why not the crimes prevented by gun owners? Guns are used by citizens about 6,850 times a day in self-defense. As many as 200,000 women use a gun to defend themselves from sexual assault every year. The error for mistaking a criminal by police in a shooting is 11% and only 2% by armed citizens. Do these facts make you reconsider your view on gun control?

The media seems to just tell us what the government desires us to know. The news we hear every day is almost always bad, they usually do a short feel good story at the end but that’s it. Plus how many citizens (especially in the Midwest) use their guns to put food on their table. To save a few bucks at the grocery store. Guns even lead to this countries existence. We never would have defeated the British back in 1776, to earn our independence. All of those law breaking minute men defended our freedom.

This country was started by gun owners, so why don’t we acknowledge them to this day? We shouldn't ignore the media but we should try not to have a closed mind to other sides on gun control.