Guns Have Rights Too | Teen Ink

Guns Have Rights Too

November 13, 2014
By princeali BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
princeali BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The United States offers many amazing chances to its citizens that other countries don't offer. With them, American citizens are able to be happy and live freely, but with happiness there is also evil. Sadly, there are people who enjoy doing harm to others and that is the time where security comes in to play. Citizens of America need something that can protect them at all times. This is where the Second Amendment steps in. This is a law that helps many, many citizens protect themselves from harm and danger. If the government rids us the right, then that will put American citizens in harms way. Guns protect the innocent from danger and gives you the opportunity to save yourself and your loved ones. Banning guns will put you at a higher risk of being a victim.


Picture the country a weapon-free nation, everything peaceful and serene. If the results of banning guns were to come to a state of peacefulness then do it; but it will not. What it would only do is take away citizens’ safety. When having the right to carry guns, people will have a way of defending themselves. In addition, citizens having the right to bear arms will decrease the amount of criminal activity. Records from the FBI crime statistics state, “states that have adopted concealed carry laws reduced the amount of murders, rapes, aggravated assaults, and robberies”   (Federal Bureau Of Investigation). This statistic shows that states who allow citizens to carry concealed guns have lower crime rates than others. This proving that depriving citizens from allowing to bear arms will only make crime rates increase and put many citizens in danger. Many people pro-gun control believe that the highest rates of violent shootings in the United States are traced to the country's lack of gun control, but thats not the case. According to statistics found in an article in the issues and controversies web page, “many of the states that have allowed citizens to bear arms have lower crime rates than others. A criminal would go to a state with stricter gun control laws than states that don't because they are more vulnerable” (Should U.S. gun control laws be strengthened?).


If the government were to ban guns, does it mean that criminals will no longer have access to guns anymore? The answer is no! There are plenty of ways for them to receive guns, legally or illegally. They are criminals, they would do what they can to obtain what they need, for example guns. Research done by Dan Noyes, Center for Investigative Reporting said “criminals obtain guns and other weapons by stealing, buying from legal users, illegal importing and more” (pbs.org). This proves that if the government was to to ban and rid all guns, the result in that would be catastrophic, knowing that Americans would be defenseless against criminals that have firearms that they received illegally. People pro- gun control would state “With guns easier to be obtained, will this make more problems and issues with criminals and will be easier for them obtain guns as well?” The counterclaim to this argument would be that many abiding citizens have guns for important reasons, Especially for sports and protection. An article from the issues and controversies section stated “When taking away guns from citizens, the only result would be taking away ones only way of surviving who can be a victim’’(Does the United States need gun control reform?). Many Americans have used guns for good uses from their past till now, so many believe it is mandatory to have guns for protection.


There have been cases of armed robberies where guns had saved someone from being a victim. Fox News had presented a case two years ago about a robbery at a cafe in Florida. Two armed men threatened the citizens and demanded their valuables. Then one man stepped in and scared off the criminals with his pistol(armed senior citizen stops robbery, second amendment at work). The reality is that the cops will not always be there for you, so when you're defenceless against criminals, instead of standing around being a helpless victim of an occurring crime, having a gun would protect you from harm. Having a gun will also decrease your chances of being a victim. The fact is that the police will not be there for you all the time, so you need protection from something that can protect you at all times. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that a police mans work is difficult, and trying to be there for everyone is impossible, which is the reason why people have guns. They would have a chance to defend themselves and others in serious situations. Believing in the police isn’t wrong, but depending on them all the time is, especially when you know you can do something as well.


There have been many cases where guns were blamed for a criminals crime. Yes, the gun was a weapon, but it wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger. Not only do they not kill people, but they save lives as well. From protecting yourself to protecting your community when the police aren't there, guns can be used in positive ways, it’s all made by the decision of the one who is holding the gun.

 

 

 

Works Cited
"Elderly Man Foils Robbery, Shoots 2 Suspects." Fox Nation. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.

FBI. FBI, 28 Oct. 2013. Web. 27 Oct. 2014.

"Infobase Learning - Login." Infobase Learning - Login. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2014.

PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2014.