Lack of Gun Control Deteriorating Our Nation | Teen Ink

Lack of Gun Control Deteriorating Our Nation

By Makizzle BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Makizzle BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Every day in our nation we hear of innocent bystanders being shot or wounded by a miscreant who shouldn't have had the permission to have a gun in the first place. Unfortunately, due to America’s lack of gun control laws our government allows people with psychological illnesses, drug addicts and potential criminals access to firearms and other dangerous weapons. In fact, the infamous Sandy Hook shooter, Adam Lanza, was diagnosed with a sensory-integration disorder when he started elementary school and was later diagnosed by a psychiatrist with Asperger Syndrome when he was thirteen, According to Peter Lanza, the shooter’s father. On December 14th, 2012 in less than 10 minutes Lanza took twenty seven innocent lives including his own mother’s. This tragic event took  the nation by storm, sparking  protest and debates about whether or not the government should give all Americans the right to bear arms. Whereas in some instances people need guns to protect themselves just in case the authorities aren't around, I am pro-gun control given that if there is no control over the type of people who have the right to bear arms the world could become a heinous place. Gun control is necessary in our nation in order to prevent the loss of young lives and keep firearms out of the hands of unlawful citizens.   

Giving everyone the ability to carry a gun could do more harm than good. If the government created a law that no one could be permitted to buy a gun without going through a background check the type and amount of people who are legally permitted to have a firearm can be closely monitored and will ensure that guns will not be used redundantly. Our current gun laws make it is just as easy for a person who suffers from mental illness to access a gun as any other American citizen. Giving people who can not think sanely on most occasions access to such a dangerous weapon is a recipe for disaster and can do our nation no good.

In today’s society too many children and teens are victims of gun violence that were not intended to involve them. NBC Nightly News Correspondent John Yang reported that, “ A five year old boy in Chicago, Jaden Donald, was caught in a cross-fire between two rival gangs while innocently playing at the park” (Children Falling Victim to Chicago's Gun Violence). This tragedy occurred when Donald was mistakenly hit by a stray bullet and is now forced to spend his days in a hospital bed rather than enjoying his childhood. No mother should have to worry that their child may be shot or even killed while playing at the park. If there were stricter gun control laws put into place the shooter would not have had access to the weapon that nearly killed Jaden Donald, giving mother’s everywhere some peace of mind.

Many people argue that not allowing all citizens of America the right to have a gun is an invasion of their constitutional rights. However, some people may argue that providing everyone with the right to own a gun is the only way that they can protect themselves from harm but that is not the case. In many instances having a firearm can make a situation a lot worse than it was before. According to a recent study published in the Southern Medical Journal, "the presence of a gun in a home is twelve times more likely to lead to the death of a member of the household or a visitor than an intruder" (Michael Auston). In today’s society anyone can get ahold of a gun which is not safe for a miscreant target or even an innocent bystander. By formulating stricter gun control laws the government can eliminate the possibility of guns getting into the wrong hands therefore eliminating the conflict in it’s entirety.

Many pro-gun advocates also claim that banning guns would only take them away from law abiding citizens who only intend to use their firearms for the safety of themselves and family. Nevertheless, by putting stricter gun laws in place the government could keep firearms out of the wrong hands giving “law abiding citizens” no real reason to need a gun to protect themselves. The second amendment of the U.S. Constitution, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.", was written in order to allow the people of our armed forces to fight for the constitutional rights of all Americans by using guns if necessary. As the years have passed the second amendment has been misinterpreted, allowing people to assume that all Americans should be able to carry a gun to protect themselves rather than allowing the authorities protect them.

The American people should be a part of the solution, not the problem. By encouraging our government to tighten our nation’s gun laws we can help ensure the safety of each other. Years ago our forefathers wrote the constitution with hopes that the “Land of the free and home of the brave” would run as peaceful as possible. If we remain ignorant to the Second Amendment we are basically throwing away the hard work and dedication that historical figures put into this great nation. We are allowing guns to turn us into enemies rather than friends. By politically supporting those who fight to keep guns out of the hands of  criminals rather than relying on guns to solve problems is the only way to save the lives of the American people.

Works Cited

"We Need Stricter Gun Laws." Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist.
Micheal W. Austin, 25 Feb. 2014. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
"Guns Galore Won't Make Military Bases Safer Places." USA TODAY. 09 Apr. 2014: p. A.8. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 22 Oct. 2014.
"Children Falling Victim to Chicago's Gun Violence." John Yang, correspondent. NBC Nightly
News. NBCUniversal Media. 11 Aug. 2013. NBC Learn. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.