Why America - Sincerely, Your Students | Teen Ink

Why America - Sincerely, Your Students

Common Core State Standards is a form of education approved of January 10 of 2011. It is a more rigorous style of learning. In math alone, on a global scale, twenty-five countries scored above the United Stated. It is vital to boost our ranking and to do this, we need to use a system different from the one we previously had. People need to accept the coming of common core because it is here for a reason, and not going away.

Common Core is an integral part of the United States education system. About 60 percent of college students, though thought to be ready for the next step by high school teachers, are found to be in fact unprepared and caught off guard for the next level of study. Every year, this causes millions of dollars to be wasted on remedial teachings. One way to fix this is the incorporation of Common Core into the previous learning standards. It is often misunderstood and misinterpreted as an overly excessive brand of teaching that is used the wrong way, and is just making work harder for students. It is in fact, is doing exactly the opposite; it brings reason and enlightenment to shadowed, concealed reasoning behind each method.

The point of it is often mistaken as useless and only creating more work for those involved. Although some of the skill are over thought and overly processed and sometimes drawn out, the point is to give an understanding of the material being used rather than a series of complicated formulas. The new standard is not a curriculum, but a set of guidelines created by a diverse board of individuals to create a working and learning environment that is good for many culturally diverse areas. The style of teachings has been accepted in 46 states and 45 for both math and English. It is a plan that has been thoroughly thought through by the government with 15% of the syllabus changeable to fit the needs of the students. While we are currently low on education rankings, with this, they may be on the rise.

Seeing the other side of the argument, some of the standards are ridiculous and the expectations are set to high. The testing, in New York State at least, has nothing to do with the student’s level of competence; it is used purely to test the teachers. After speaking to a teacher who was in school for the time when it was implemented, the rate at which it was expected to be fully added to the teachers plan was ludicrous. After being introduced to the teachers in April, the new material was expected to integrated into the lessons by September of the following school year; only five months away. But currently, as time goes on, these things are being fixed and this system is getting better. Maybe someday, the proud United Stated of America will have a satisfying number one next to the name when ranking countries by education.

For now, as this country moves forward, this new system could greatly impact this nation for the better. With 25 spots above us and 40% to improve, there is still room to move forward. Common core is not going away, and it is just as misunderstood as many of this country’s people. As long as there are problems, as with the testing and strict path, there is place for development. But until this country, strong and spirited, has the number 1 with no chance of being overtaken, we must accept what has come and keep our eyes on the prize. The Common Core State Standards may just be the last boost needed towards greatness for the United Stated of America as a whole.

While this started out as a school assignment, I found that I was doing this more for me, and less for the grade. My teacher has inspired me to come to amazing thoughts and vital realizations.