Endangered Animals | Teen Ink

Endangered Animals

By BobbiC GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
BobbiC GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

According to the Huffington Post, In this world today, well over 5,000 species are endangered. Our universe needs to do more for the animals endangered and soon to be endangered. Why don't people do anything to help, yet some people think they are helping but making it worse, and why do they even try to help endangered animals?
If the people cared more about helping the endangered, it is proven the world would be a better place. According to a survey on debate.org (DDO), 85% say they agree to help protect endangered animals, and 15% say they do not agree, not to help protect endangered animals. Yet, why would they say no, they answered and said it was a waste of time and money. That is 100% incorrect. If we dont save the animals we will lose and threaten species of wildlife and plants “ they are esthetic, ecological, educational, historical, recreational, and scienti?c value to the Nation and its people.” Congress answered these questions in the preamble to the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Congress summarized convincing arguments made by scientists, conservationists, and others who are concerned by the disappearance of unique creatures. Congress further stated its intent that the Act should conserve the ecosystems upon which endangered and threatened species depend. The 85% voted “yes” to help animals keep away from being endangered, yet they still don't do anything to help.
Alot of people today are vegetarians, therefore just because you're a vegetarian does not mean they stop making bacon, hamburgers, etc. “Vegans save 198 animals per year”, stated in the Vegan Outreach Booklet. Not saying to quit being a vegetarian, but 198 is a very small number compared to all the animals not being saved per year. Becoming a vegan can be hard, but the people today need to find a better way to help the animals. The Chicago Tribune wrote that home energy, driving and parking, and flying are all really bad for the environment.Helping the animals can help make the world a better place and a better environment.
One of the best ways to help endangered animals is conserving their habitats. One of the most important ways to help threatened plants and animals survive is to protect their habitats permanently in national parks, nature reserves or wilderness areas. There they can live without too much interference from humans. It is also important to protect habitats outside reserves such as on farms and along roadsides. Also, we need to make space for the wild life. You could easily put up a bird feeder and save birds lives. Alot of people use chemicals in the grass and or garden, making it a not safe zone for the wildlife. If everyone recycled plastic, there would be less bi-products that enter the air and destroy the ozone as if airborne poison was in the air. Less production of plastic means less harmful bi-products which is a better environment for everyone including endangered species. If we recycled paper more, there would be less need to cut down trees to make more paper. Destruction of forests is the number one reason why animals become endangered.
The Endangered Species Act (ESA) is one of the nation's most effective and important environmental laws. The ESA stated they passed with overwhelming bipartisan support, and then it represented a commitment by the people of the United States to work together to protect and restore our most vulnerable fellow species undergoing endangerment. Also, a bill recently filed in both the Senate and House that would wipe out many of the key components of the ESA. Yet, this bill would harm imperiled species. In order for the animals to not get harmed or be or start to get endangered, the main proven point is for the people to take charge. We need a clean environment and healthy animals.