what i'm worth | Teen Ink

what i'm worth

By Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The poem "what i'm worth" by Jessica Molz describes the intimidating, tiresome work that women, especially teenage girls, go through every day just to appear good enough to influence peers' judgement. In each stanza, Jessica begins with stating the action she'd performed this morning to look nice, such as curling her hair. Then, she explains the reason for her doing this and the effect of these doings. An example is "And I thought of all the compliments I would get from all the girls with broken fingernails..."

Other than its being outstandingly written, this piece is also very relatable and strong, for it withholds the sadness of what we go through just to impress. In this generation, people judge a person in the one glance they take, and it puts a title on people’s foreheads. One is judged merely by how they look at that second that someone takes a look - if your hair is neat, and your face is rosy and perfect, and you are dressed better than everyone else, then you’re worthy of people’s time, and you’re good enough. It may be sad, but it’s true; every morning, girls cover up their faces and their real selves to look nice, but it’s not true and it’s not comfortable. ?
The problem is, if you do not do this, you are not as pretty, as special, as important, or as liked. The author of this article points out the things we girls do to be liked, and to prove ourselves worthy by how we look when someone sees us. “Girls just like me… who determine my worth in a passing glance.” This line from the poem stood out the most to me, because of its truth. Everybody is the same, underneath all of the coverup. But, people who do not cover it up are not as worthy in people’s eyes, for they do not look like other options. Yet, the other options are just as good, just as bad as the rest.

Jessica demonstrates the feelings, reasons for why it’s worth it, and the disturbance of how a woman beautifies herself to be good enough in a precise, well-written, and relatable poem.

on Aug. 28 2014 at 12:52 am
jessicamolz1 BRONZE, Moorestown, New Jersey
What a wonderful compliment to see someone has not only read my writing, but understood it, been inspired by it. We're all in this together... I daresay as a woman you've got as many stories on this subject as I do. I can't tell you in words how much better it made my day, finding your article! Thank you very much!