Holding Parents Responsible for Crimes Committed by Minors | Teen Ink

Holding Parents Responsible for Crimes Committed by Minors

February 7, 2014
By e2000 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
e2000 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Winnie the Pooh


Today, media commonly broadcasts egregious crimes committed by minors. Whether it be school shootings or hate crimes, extreme cases involving juveniles spark debate internationally. In 2010, over 1,040,000 major crimes were attributed to minors (Federal Bureau of Investigation, Table 32.) Often, these children face trial as adults, jail time, or incarceration in a juvenile detention facility. These minors must be held responsible for their actions and face the related consequences. However, why do these children commit such unthinkable crimes? Parent-child relationships are crucial in fostering the responsibility needed to prevent juvenile crime. By teaching responsibility to children, caregivers not only promote morality, but also hold children accountable for their doings. Parents of juvenile criminals often apologize for their children on the witness stand, or make excuses for their behavior. Shanise Farrar, the grieving mother of a 14 year old boy killed by the New York Police Department after shooting and wounding an unidentified man told The Brooklyn Daily, “I'm not saying that he's the best one, but he's my angel,” (National Crime Prevention Council.) When three 15 year old boys assaulted and fractured the arm of their 13 year old classmate on a school bus, Fox News’ Phil Keating alleges that Julian McKnight, the father of one of the boys accused in the attack said, “It's just the way it is. My son ain't never been no bad person, he just got mixed with bad people, that's all ... he’s sorry," (National Crime Prevention Council.) But is his son truly sorry? Or is his father sorry on his behalf? “Sorry” can no longer be used to shield negligent guardians. “Sorry” will not bring back Christopher Lane, an Australian jogger shot and killed by three teenagers, or James Craig Anderson, a 49 year old auto worker intentionally run over and killed by an 18 year old and his friends. The victims were someone’s angel as well. “Sorry” cannot change the past. We must look to the future, and prevent such heinous crimes from recurrence. Parents, arguably the most prominent figures in a child’s life, must foster morality, reinforce appropriate behavior, and teach their children that they must be accountable for their actions. Our communities have multiple avenues for juveniles who elect to disobey their parents. But where is the protection for society when parents choose not to utilize those avenues? The duty of a caregiver includes teaching children the responsibility needed to prevent criminal tendencies. Moral ideals should be taught by parents, and therefore a lack of responsibility should be at least partially attributed to the guardian.



.