Article Summary/Reaction | Teen Ink

Article Summary/Reaction

By cbrandtk21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
cbrandtk21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Black Friday is a holiday shopper’s look forward to after their Thanksgiving feasts in order to find the best deals possible, ensuing crowds and lines. However, in recent years, a new opportunity has emerged for shoppers. Cyber Monday is a new way for shoppers to find the best deals without the hassle of dealing with long lines and huge crowds.

In the article The Unmitigated Inanity of Cyber Monday, Will Oremus ridicules the newfound “holiday” for consumers. He also mocks Black Friday and discourages anyone from partaking in the shopping in an effort to save their money. In the article, Oremus explains that stores are trying to scam consumers by making them spend more money on the “best deals of the year.” He also informs the readers of the history on how the term Cyber Monday was coined. Originally, Cyber Monday was a way of showing how slow the home dial-up internet was compared to an offices’ internet. He even argues that the office dial-up internet is faster nowadays. However, if this term of Cyber Monday is still true, then the term is pointless because the average home’s internet is just as fast. Nowadays, Cyber Monday is known as a term of shopping from the comfort of your own home.

In many ways Cyber Monday can be seen more as a benefit than a “ridiculous” holiday to both consumers and producers. Consumers can see this as an easier way of shopping. Instead of dealing with hassle of the large crowds, consumers can shop at home while grabbing the “best deals of the year.” Not only that but consumers can avoid Black Friday and spend time with their families on Thanksgiving instead of shopping.

Not only does Cyber Monday benefit consumers, the holiday also benefits producers. Before Cyber Monday, Black Friday is another holiday of shopping. However, Black Friday may not be every shopper’s forte, as they may not want to deal with the large crowds or they would rather spend their limited time with their families on Thanksgiving. Many shoppers still shop on Black Friday but may also shop on Cyber Monday. Another holiday of massive demand for products only means more profit for the producers.

Although the original concept of Cyber Monday was because of the fast-paced internet at work, it has revolutionized on how consumers shop. Instead of dealing with large crowds on Black Friday, consumers can shop at home and still receive the deals that a Black Friday shopper would receive. Producers and stores also thrive in this extra holiday as the demand for the “best deals of the year” skyrocket. An extra holiday only means more profit for producers and more deals for consumers. Whether Will Oremus sees this as a “ridiculous” and “pointless” holiday, the benefits outweigh the cons.