pollution | Teen Ink

pollution

By tweety47 SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana
tweety47 SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana

Love is like war
Easy to start
Hard to stop
impossible to forget!!!!!
- anonymous

Pollution is a horrible problem that is shaking the world to its core. It affects the ecosystem, environment, and populations. Pollution is the waste, trash, oil, and sewage getting into the animals habitats, and making it harder for them to continue as a species. It is caused by many things, but of all the things humans are the worst polluters by far. There are three main types of pollution water, air, and land.
Land pollution is the dumping on the earth surface by humans, oil companies, and many more. Some of the main contributors are chemical and nuclear plants, industrial factories, oil refineries, human sewage, and deforestation (greenstudentu). We can prevent it, and help reduce it with a few simple steps. Reuse cardboards, paper, bags and plastics. Recycle metal, cans, car batteries, and copper. Grow your own garden using compost. You can even get biodegradable products. All of these things can help to reduce pollution in the soil, and water.
Water pollution is similar to land pollution in the sense of definition, effects, and solutions. Water pollution is the dumping of human sewage, and trash into the water, killing animals and making the water hazardous. Some of the main sources are the same as the one on land, such as oil refineries, human sewage, and mining. The trash and oil that get into the ocean will eventually end up on land, and every year almost 25% of U.S beaches are closed at least once because of water pollution. Land pollution and water pollution are a big problem and are connected in many ways. Many people don’t realize that, if we threw away our trash instead of leaving it on the ground, to be washed away in the tide, our rivers and oceans would be so much cleaner.
Air pollution is when gas, smoke, smog, and car exhaust get into the air in excessive amounts, and create holes in the ozone layer. All of the main offenders are made by humans, such as car exhaust, large ships, automobile emissions, and the combustion of coal. There are many more, and they are connected to land and water. For example, when people spray pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers, it is in the air and gets onto the land. It turns into fumes under the sun, and travels into the ground, and in the air. Eventually the clouds get heavy and it rains, well the water carrying it gets into the sewer, and will travel on down into the rivers and oceans. Wild fires are another example. They cause deforestation, smoke and gas in the air, and ashes in the air, on the land, and in the water. Air pollution is just a big a problem as water and land, maybe even more so. The ozone layer protects us from UV rays, and other harmful things. There are so many harmful rays and gasses. The average adult consumes 3,000 gallons of polluted air a day, and every year 335,000 Americans die of lung cancer, which is a direct result of air pollution (greenstudentu).

There are so many things we could do to prevent the pollution from getting worse, and stop it completely. By recycling metal, cans, car batteries, and copper, we can keep them out of landfills, and make them into things we can always use. If we reused cardboard, paper, bags, and plastic, then it would keep them out of landfills, and reduce pollution greatly. If you grow your own garden using compost then it would use things that ordinarily go into the trash, and would save you some money on groceries. The landfills only have so much space, and things take years to disintegrate.
It is so easy to reduce pollution, but sadly many people don’t realize that by doing a few simple things together we can greatly reduce pollution. The biodegradables which will decompose naturally and become like compost for the earth so it can rejuvenate itself take half the time to decompose. If you carpool to work or do your errands at the same time, then you not only save gas, but reduce your carbon footprint, and pollution. By inspecting your septic system every 3-5 years, you can catch potential leaks, which will reduce pollution. We made and cause pollution every day, and it is our job to stop and reduce it.

To do my part in helping to reduce pollution, I recycle metal, aluminum, cans, copper, car batteries, cans, motors, die cast, and so much more. I even help to grow a garden, which is pesticide free and organic. We grow jalapeños, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries, green onions parsley, and much more. I make sure not to liter, and I try to do my best and help reduce pollution. . I hope one day we can stop pollution completely.
It is going to take all of us doing our part to completely stop pollution, and reverse the damage that we have done to the earth. The earth isn’t going to last much longer if we keep destroying it, and neither will we. So do your part and help reduce pollution. Let’s make this a better planet for future generations. Pollution is horrible, but so are we if we don’t do something. Money and property aren’t everything. If this world dies then all the “empires” people built won’t mean anything, because they won’t be worth anything with the land dead. Please help stop pollution in its tracks, and give the future a fighting chance to survive.