United States Reparation for Past Discrimination | Teen Ink

United States Reparation for Past Discrimination

By Nightwalker BRONZE, Havre, Montana
Nightwalker BRONZE, Havre, Montana

The world is your stage-unkown

Should America continue paying the Native Americans for what happened in the past? My thoughts are that we should not continue paying them for things that have been done a long time ago. Not one person alive in this country right now has done wrong to the Native Americans in such a way that every American citizen (legal or otherwise) should pay every Native American. Those things happened in the past, and so we need to stop looking behind, and look to the future.
As reservations are considered sovereign nations, why must America keep giving them subsidies? I am not saying we should outright stop helping them, but we should not waste tax dollars on completely separate nations. If they need help, we could send aid, but giving a few hundred dollars a year to the reservations to send to every registrant for being registered with them is outright stupid. How many times have you seen the front page headlines read "Tribal Council member (insert name, there are plenty to choose from), part of the (insert reservation name) arrested for fraud, theft, and laundering federal stimulus money."? For me, it has been way to much.
Enough of the free give-aways. If they want a new hospital, water treatment plant, or any other thing we give them, they need to pay for it themselves. They need to actually do something to ear their pay. A few of the tax dollars saved from this would greatly improve America's chances of getting out of debt. It would also prove that Natives are hard working, money EARNING individuals that can work for themselves without the government giving them things that they could easily pay for.
Maybe we should just completely eradicate the reservations all together. If there were no more reservations, we would be able to 1: Stop wasting money to every single registrant 2: Allow them to use what America has to offer (without us paying for it).
When a government gives everything to another nation, that means that they will rely on that government to supply everything. And when that government decides to stop, mass protests will erupt. We, citizens of America, need to stop helping them along before they rely too heavily on us.

Before you judge, I am part Native American, and registered to the nearest reservation. This is an essay I did for a literature class.