President Obama: Lost Opportunity and Division | Teen Ink

President Obama: Lost Opportunity and Division

August 25, 2013
By Anonymous

It has been 50 years since Martin Luther King Jr. has marched on Washington, D.C. Fifty years since hardworking Americans fought for their right to racial equality. This begs a question: Why is there still such racial strife in this country? The answer is simple: President Obama has divided the country instead of unifying it.

Remember during the presidential election, when Stacey Dash, an African American woman, was crucified on Twitter for her support of Mitt Romney? President Obama could have taken that opportunity to remind everyone that what color skin you have does not, and should not, be a factor in whom you vote for. Yet our President did nothing, missing an opportunity to lead by example and tell supporters that he wants votes for his policies rather than the color of his skin.

Another example is the tragic case of Trayvon Martin. No one knows whether Trayvon or Zimmerman threw the first punch, so a guilty verdict could not have been reached. When the jury did not convict Zimmerman, did our President take a hard look at the facts and admit that the jury made a reasonable decision? No. “That could have been me 35 years ago” was what he remarked instead. This statement did not bring our country together in a time of great turmoil, but it further pushed the “issue” of racism in this country. Growing up before Obama’s terms, I did not see so much as an inkling of racism.

Even now, growing up in a strong community, I do not see as much racism around me as President Obama implies exists. I just cannot seem to understand why he would put emphasis on the things that divide us rather than the things that bring us together as the greatest country on earth. After all, he is half white. President Obama could be, and should be, using his heritage to show how we can all come together no matter what color our skin is.


The author's comments:
Thank you for reading! This is my first article on TeenInk and I would like to publish more in the future. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, as I want to improve my writing.

~Inspired by conversations at the dinner table~