Edward Snowden is a Traitor | Teen Ink

Edward Snowden is a Traitor

By DavidEom BRONZE, Fort Lee, New Jersey
DavidEom BRONZE, Fort Lee, New Jersey

Edward Snowden was a 29 year old worker at the United States National Security Agency and also a former employee of the Central Intelligence Agency. Snowden leaked information about the top secret agency’s data collecting programs to Glenn Greenwald of London’s newspaper, The Guardian. Snowden’s leaks are a subject of great controversy, and some people are calling him a hero while others are calling him a traitor. He went to Hong Kong to meet Glenn Greenwald and to escape from the U.S. government. Then he flew to Russia and is still there today. He is expected to board a flight to Cuba on Monday, July 15.

Snowden said while being interviewed by Glenn Greenwald, "I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things … I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under." The opposite side argues that the leaked information could get into the hands of other countries and U.S. top secrets could be revealed because of what Snowden did.

Edward Snowden wanted to become a hero, but he turned out to be a traitor. The U.S. government is trying to protect us by recording and listening to our phone calls so that they will be able to find bad people or criminals. This is being done to keep us safe. Edward Snowden is making a big mistake by hand in the information. He should come back to the U.S. and hand in the information before it gets into the hands of America’s enemies. Edward Snowden should make the right decision.

Edward Snowden might have thought he was a hero, but he is a traitor.