Learning Styles | Teen Ink

Learning Styles

June 4, 2013
By LillieTang SILVER, P Sherman, Nebraska
LillieTang SILVER, P Sherman, Nebraska
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Learning



As we get older, learning becomes more tedious and less physically stimulating. Kindergarten through third or fourth grade was the prime time for learning by way of hands-on activities. However, as I entered fifth grade, it was evident that there was a drastic change in the way in which I was taught. Rather than a visual, hands-on style of learning, I gradually began to learn though lectures and taking notes. Similar to most people, I am a visual learner, so learning through lectures is not particularly effective for me. Therefore, I feel that more visual, hands-on activities should be incorporated into the current style in which most teachers teach.



Firstly, it is easier to remember things if we can connect the information to a visual, so teaching with visuals will be more effective for the students. Furthermore, hands-on activities will force students to pay attention, in a way, because for hands-on activities the students must get up and pay attention to what they are doing, whereas students can easily daydream during lectures and completely miss all of the important information covered during that lesson. Thus, it would be highly beneficial for teachers to teach with more visuals and activities rather than lectures, for the students will retain the information better and it will necessitate that they pay attention in class.



Lastly, because learning through lectures and note-taking is quite tedious, students do not particularly enjoy attending school. However, learning through hands-on activities mixed in with a shorter lecture is more stimulating and enjoyable, so students will look forward to going to school if taught that way. Students who want to be in school are more likely to pay attention to what is being taught, and thus will retain a larger amount of the information. Evidently, teaching students in a more active environment will cause students to look forward to going to school, and they will learn more because they will want to pay attention.



Although lectures seem to be an appropriate style for teaching children of our age, it is ineffective for visual learners who make up the majority of students. However, if teachers incorporate activities into their lectures, the students will be more attentive and glean more information. Teaching through physical activities will prevent students from getting distracted during class, and thus they will be better educated. It is clear that the environment in which students learn should change into a more active and stimulating environment in order to benefit the students as much as possible.