What's Next? | Teen Ink

What's Next?

By CHN1997 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina
CHN1997 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

You must be the change you wish to see in the world- Mahathma Ghandi

What’s Next?

On September 11th 2001, 2 commercial planes were hijacked and flown into the twin towers in New York City. There was also a third plane that crash landed in a broad field in Pennsylvania, and 1 near the pentagon. All the people on board were dead, not to mention the other 2,753, dead of course.

July 20th 2012, Aurora Colorado, at approximately 12:27 A.M, a man enters a midnight premiere of Batman The Dark Knight Rises at a movie theater. He ends up shooting at least 70, and killing 12, one of them is reported to be a child.

Newtown Connecticut, December 14th 2012, a mentally deranged man by the name of Adam Lanza enters the doors of Sandy Hook Elementary School. He ends up killing 26 people, and out of those people, 20 of them were children.

On Monday April 15th 2013, 2 bombs went off in the spectators section at the annual Boston marathon in Boston, Massachusetts. The bombers were found. One of the bombers was killed, and the other is awaiting trial. There were 3 dead, and approximately 170 were injured. In the names of the dead there was one 10 year old child.

These tragedies stand among many of the other horrible crimes that America has had for the past few years. The bad thing about it is the last 3 are only months apart. I chose to write about these because they stand out to me. They mean something, and they could be warnings for many things to happen in the future.

I don’t know if you recall the supposed end of the world on December 21st 2012, but to me the Mayans were quite accurate on their predictions. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. I know the world didn’t blow up in a million pieces, I know tidal waves didn’t destroy all of America’s coastlines, but I have a theory that maybe Mayans predicted a different type of ending.

The whole Mayan community on December 21st celebrated the coming of a new era, a new era that would bring peace and hope for all of humanity, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be struggle. We as human beings hope for the better, but there always has to be that one person who is so selfish they decide to take their hatred out on the innocent beings.

With everything that has happened lately, all the shootings, bombings, and natural fatalities, I can’t help but think the Mayans were right. You see what I think they predicted was an ending that brought a certain selfishness with it. We no longer appreciate life like we used to, we take Mother Nature for granted, and we are slowly but surely killing the one thing that sustains us all, our home we call Earth. People abuse the beautiful creatures that come with this planet, and we treat one another badly because some of us seem different. The end is already here.

But like the Mayan’s said, “This is an era that will bring peace”. Yes someday in the future our world will be a lot safer for our children, but the climb to that day will be a struggle. I sometimes feel safe to know that I live in a little town in South Carolina, but when you think about it, we are never truly ever safe. I stand by with the millions of people that wait and dream that they won’t have to raise their kids in a world like we do today. It’s a dangerous place out there; beautiful yes, but dangerous. But there is one thing that’s true, there’s only one thing stronger than fear, and that is hope, but for now all I can is ask myself what’s next?

This piece was inspired from a photo I saw not long after the Boston bombings.