Bueaty and Brutality | Teen Ink

Bueaty and Brutality

May 3, 2013
By April Anderson BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
April Anderson BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

9/11. The Boston Bombing. Columbine. Sandy Hook. The Holocaust. These are just a few of the worst events in our history. Although, there was been beauty in all of these situations. It might be hard to see, but if you look closely, it is clear as day that people are strong. But, some may argue that if there is tragedy, we should focus on that period. Others say that things happen for a reason, and that bad comes with good, or even to look on the bright side. At the end of the day, it is not how you fall- it’s if you get back up that matter’s.

There will always be bad in the world. But the good news is that bad comes with good. On September 11, 2001, America faced maybe its biggest tragedy yet. Two planes crashed into the world trade center, and a plane crashed into the Pentagon, killing an estimated 3000 people in total. Americans were in shock with this horrible act of terrorism. But something amazing came out of this dreadful situation; more than 500 hundred firefighters, EMT’S, and NYPD’S were there at the scene as soon as they receive the call. They risked their own lives every second they were there just to help out the people suffering. On that day, America really was united and was extremely patriotic. Unfortunately, sometimes the most we realize how lucky we are, is when a tragedy happens. This event really let Americans and the world know that we are a united country.

Brutality doesn’t just happen on a national scale. It happens on a personal level, too. My aunt Lori has terminal cancer. She has lung and throat cancer, as well as aneurisms in her brain. The National Cancer Institute estimates that approximately 13.7 million Americans with a history of cancer were alive on January 1, 2012. Some of these individuals were cancer free, while others still had evidence of cancer and may have been undergoing treatment. Cancer can affect anyone, anytime, unknowingly. Cancer is one of the top ten leading causes of death in America. But, it is important to look on the bright side of things; cancer is preventable. The causes of all cancers are not well known, but various daily activities for many people greatly increase the risk: including smoking, excessive tanning, and diets high in processed foods. Obesity, sedentary lifestyles and pollutants can also cause cancer. And ever since hearing the news about my aunt Lori, we have become even closer and I have realized how much of an amazing person she is. She, like too many others, is such an inspiration to be positive and appreciative about life.

Although at first it might not seem like it, but things happen for a reason. In Germany, 1940, the beginning of the holocaust began. After reading many books about the holocaust, seeing a holocaust survivor, and even visiting the museum in Washington, D. C., I know a lot about this subject. Auschwitz-Burkinau was the largest of the Nazi concentration and death camps; the number estimated of death from Auschwitz was over one million. But, like all situations in life, things have to happen for a reason. A positive thing about knowing about the Holocaust and the events leading up to the infamous genocide, can help stop future act of hatred before they can even start. And now we can appreciate the Jewish people and learn from their bravery. In class we read a book called The Book Thief. It is about how a German family was living during World War two, and how they were keeping a Jew in their basement. Because of the fact that it was WW2, they were getting bombed constantly. People were panicking and there was chaos in the crowded basement. But Liesel, the main character, found a way to calm them down. On page 381, she begins reading aloud, “For at least twenty minutes, she handed out the story. The youngest kids were soothed by her voice, and everyone saw visions of the whistler running from the crime scene.” This shows that even in the scariest moments in life, there is always a positive outcome because it reminds us to come together, instead of drifting apart. In this situation it was Liesel calming everyone down.

Leaning the fact that beauty can exist in the least expected times, can make anyone more comfortable because tragedies are still happening today. Weeks ago, on Monday, April 15, 2013, two bombs went off in Boston during the annual marathon killing three people and sending almost one hundred and fifty to the hospital. Because of the fact that tragedies still happen, it’s important to know that people will always stick together .For me, being there for one another is possibly the most beautiful thing of all.


The author's comments:
I based this paper on the them of that beauty still exists in the wake of brutality.