Bullying to Suicide | Teen Ink

Bullying to Suicide

April 4, 2013
By KallieN SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KallieN SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."


When you think about bullies you want to stand up for the victim but you are to afraid. I will tell you about how bullying leads to suicide.

According to bullyingstatistics.org Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people. There are four thousand four hundred deaths per year caused by suicide. For every suicide among young people there are one hundred suicide attempts.

People think that high school students never think about death or suicide. But did you know that fourteen percent of high school students have considered suicide, and that seven percent have attempted it? When it comes to teens committing suicide people are so closed minded. Especially when it comes to bullying leading to suicide.

Bully victims are two to nine times more to consider suicide than non bully victims. People need to realize that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying, and nearly thirty percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying. It’s really sad that one hundred sixty thousand kids stay home from school everyday for fear of bullying. Ten to fourteen year old girls are at even higher risk of suicide. When I was ten I didn’t even know what it meant when someone committed suicide. When researching all of this I found an article called “Cyber bullying does not lead to suicide.” Thats false. Bully-related suicide can be connected to any type of bullying.

People, teachers, principals, students, and everyone else for that matter need to take a stand to stop bullying. People are taking their lives because of bullying. Bullying needs to stop.


The author's comments:
I got inspired to write this because of all the bullying I see going on and all the teen suicide stories I have been seeing on the news.