In Whose Hands? | Teen Ink

In Whose Hands?

By Evie.Inge BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Evie.Inge BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I couldn't be paid enough to go into a gunfight without a gun. Is it or is it not time to restrict and remove concealed handguns from our society? What might become or our city dwellers who can't carry a weapon along the streets to defend themselves? I think its time for people to step up to the plate and allow the good guy with a gun to take care of the bad guy with a gun. People need to learn to handle themselves and not always have to rely on someone to take care of the dirty work, are we men or mice in this country?

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” 2nd Amendment of the U.S constitution. Its fairly black and white. American citizens can legally bear arms, it seems to me people are bending and twisting the intended meaning. But guns are dangerous right? Wrong, guns become dangerous when put in the wrong hands. Its very well proven concealed handgun has protected lives more often than taken. Putting unarmed citizens at mercy with armed criminals is simply unfair.

Searched out by the Gun Owners Foundation, 2.5 million people this year used a gun for self defence purposes, not for unruly violent killing. Though I do understand gun have and can be used wrongly, self defence needs to be a basic human right for everyone, even more so the right to feel safe. Allowing people to carry handguns leaves criminals suspenseful, not knowing who may or may not be armed in a crowd. To deny a law-abiding citizen these rights is reprehensible and crooked. Its very hypocritical for anti-gun Clinton to have assisting armed body guards practically holding his hand down every street. If we made that unlawful for his bodyguards to carry a concealed weapon would he still be opposed? It falls under the same category. Shouldn't protection be supported for everyone?

In other situations people would argue it to be foolish to allow guns in school, I would have to argue otherwise. Take the Newtown, Connecticut shooting for example, I do believe lives could have been spared if the teacher or teachers would have been armed. Even if it could have saved one more person, that would have made it worth it to me. We like to say in society that are children are the countries future, and we talk about how important every little body is. Dug up by the National Center for Education, nearly 70% of schools didn't even have a police officer in the building in the full course of a week. However I am very impressed at the multifunctional, completely bulletproof truck that is able to withstand extreme heat in which contains 2 heavily armed men for transporting large amounts of money. Its no doubt we protect our money while its being transported better than we protect our kids in a supposedly “safe” public building. Our priorities might be thrown off just a wee bit.

Researched by the Gun Owners Foundation twice as many children are killed playing football in school than have gun related deaths. “Yes, of course we need to have strong restrictions on guns, they are out killing way to many people, as is my pencil writing this crap!”. If we are going to get rid of something that was part of a death; then cars and baseball bats fall under that category as well. Cars take an average of 40,000 lives a year; as for baseball bats they kill an average of 11,000 Americans a year, according to Fox News.

As for the law-abiding citizens in America that carry guns and only use them accordingly, who do we think we are to take that right away from them? Surely if we ban handguns in this country it will ward off predators and persuade them to lay theirs down too! Lets say a robber is on his way to hit up a bank, on his way in he notices a sign posted on the door, “All firearms are prohibited”, so, disappointedly he heads for home. Thats actually pretty cute! Not reality though, thats more of a children's novel. If we incorporated spider man weaving the robber in a web it may be more realistic though. Why not just send him an invite instead? If we switched the scenario though, and there was no hanging invite, and a 50/50 chance of there being an armed person in the bank, it wouldn't be just an easy mission to accomplish.

Down to the grit in all of this, those who feel its necessary to carry a gun should have that right! Whether its in schools, or the streets in a public place our right remains. Americans simply need to be able to stand up for themselves and do what is proper and necessary. I do understand that people do horrific acts that involve guns, but guns don't kill people. People kill people and it also is a person that can save other people with guns. Are we men or mice? Its time to squeak up.