America's welfare | Teen Ink

America's welfare

March 17, 2013
By Sabrina Fagan BRONZE, North Scituate, Rhode Island
Sabrina Fagan BRONZE, North Scituate, Rhode Island
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the people discover they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy--to be followed by a dictatorship.” ? Alexander Fraser Tytler
These words outline the demise of a great country and they outline the future of America. The great country full of hard working people is no longer existent; what remains is a flailing country with no money, and no more hard workers. The system of welfare has allowed the level of unemployment to skyrocket, but it is not only the system that deserves the blame it is the benefiters of the system.
Welfare started in the British colonies, when those who could not work due to age or physical health were given money to live off of, but those who could work, but were unemployed, were given public service employment. Then during the Great Depression welfare became a prominent government program to assist citizens in daily life, until jobs opened. The system was put into place so that consumers had money to buy products, companies made more products, and more workers were hired. Over time welfare extended to cover costs in the areas of health, housing, tax relief, and cash assistance. However, welfare was designed to help the unemployed back onto their feet and give the disabled a source of income to live off; it was not designed to become a permanent source of income, to provide able-bodied workers with a pass to a live of luxury. As the Washington Post reported, “the public's growing dependency on welfare and the reality of our growing national debt,” are questions that are being avoided and that need to be addressed because the system is out of control and is being abused; the problem needs to be fixed before this country is destroyed completely.
The disabled who cannot work are understandable benefactors of welfare, but those that are unemployed and have no immediate desire to search for a job are abusing the system. There are no precautions in place to verify that the person is actually applying for a job and there are no ways to verify that the family truly has no income from a separate source. There are always small jobs available, down the street a McDonald’s, Stop and Shop, but these jobs only pay a minimum and on welfare the person gets so much more: a free phone and data plan, food stamps, and a signed check. Truth is no one wants to work and welfare is the answer to their problems. But I if individuals on welfare do not go out and get a job then the money of hard working Americans is going to supporting an ill-treated system.
9.4 % of the United States is unemployed, 4.6 million in poverty and on welfare, and each year American taxpayers spend nearly $1 trillion to help the poor according to a study done by the Cato Institute. Altogether there are 126 federal programs which receive this money and together spend $668 billion of taxpayer money, and state governments spend $284 billion. An article by Gary E. MacDougal, for the New York Times, says, “around $21,700 for each American in poverty, or nearly $87,000 for a family of four…” This is the average cost for an American in poverty, and since the welfare system is being abused then it is billions of wasted taxpayer money. There are ways to fix this problem though. The money being spent is not given in just a check, it is given in the form of health care and college educations, but would it be more beneficial to give the individuals only the money and elevate the poor to middle class? America is in financial trouble –the debt being $16,704,917,176,823.37 – and has no room for excess spending; welfare needs to be controlled and limited.
“Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.” ?Ronald Reagan. These are the most accurate words of wisdom and if welfare does not change America as we know it will.