Gun Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control

By madison_97 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina
madison_97 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."

Personally, I don’t think it’s really about guns; I believe it’s about the United States government taking control of the people’s rights and changing laws. If they get their way with gun control, there is no telling how far they will go to take control of the people.
I think the shooting at Sandyhook is what started everything. When people witness that kind of horror, so much anger grows throughout the population and a need to prevent it from ever happening again rises. Since the killer is dead, the gun automatically becomes the murderer. People think it’s as simple as to just take away all of the guns, and believe no more people will be murdered. Everyone just feels as if some type preventative action should take place.
The 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution states that “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” This amendment was put there for a reason and now they’re trying to take it away, even though it clearly says it shall not be infringed. In my opinion, the only thing that would do, is keep innocent people from protecting themselves and their families.
The news and government only highlight the misuse of guns and senseless killing done by guns. They rarely show the events where guns are used to defend lives. Some say our rights are more important, but others say out safety is. It’s not one of the top 3 issues in the country but is still pretty high on the list.
I think gun control is a false sense of security. Don’t people know a knife can kill someone just as easily as a gun? Someone with the intent to kill can even use their bare hands to strangle someone. A newspaper could kill, if someone were to be persistent enough. The government is weak and corrupt in my eyes. Although it often reflects the wants or needs of the people, it isn’t always fair or reasonable. Making something illegal won’t stop it; drugs and drunk driving are illegal and they still occur every day don’t they?