John McCain for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Republican candidate John McCain has experience in our nation’s government. His views on border security and the environment make him well suited for the nation’s soon-to-be vacant spot in the White House.

McCain shows great leadership and involvement in the nation’s welfare. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy and was a naval aviator for 22 years. He survived his first near-death experience in July 1967, as he was preparing to take off on a bombing mission during the Vietnam War. A rocket from a nearby plane struck and exploded the fuel tanks of McCain’s plane. McCain was given the option to go home with an honorable discharge, but he refused and volunteered for another five and half years. This act of courage shows McCain’s perseverance, strength, and determination to serve his country.

During McCain’s twenty-third bombing mission in Vietnam, he was shot down. Fortunately, he survived, but he became a prisoner of war for years at the “Hanoi Hilton” prison camp. After his release, ­McCain demonstrated once again his tenacious love for his country, continuing his career as a naval aviator. McCain retired from the Navy in 1981 with the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, and the Distinguished Flying Cross honors.

In 1982, McCain was elected to the House of Representatives from Arizona. He promoted strengthening the armed forces, reforming government, and eliminating unnecessary federal spending. Then, in 1986, he was elected to the U.S. Senate and has served continuously since.

McCain has experience close to the presidential ­position, making him an ideal next president of the United States. His campaign slogan speaks for itself: “Ready From Day One.” His experience in the armed forces and involvement in Congress give McCain significant advantages over other candidates.

McCain holds firm to his desire to secure the ­borders, and provides an effective plan for doing this. Illegal immigrants flood into the nation, costing millions of taxpayer dollars. McCain has devised a plan to tighten security at our borders. By doing this, McCain believes that the U.S. will be able to address immigration problems more effectively. McCain recognizes the importance of building strong allies with Latin America and assimilating our immigrant population, having them learn U.S. history and English.

McCain will also lead the way to a cleaner, greener environment. As a leader in preventing global warming, he vows to ensure cleaner air and water. McCain also believes that conserving U.S. resources will boost the nation’s economy. In addition, he would promote global participation in reducing greenhouse gases. McCain would like to reduce carbon emissions by harnessing market forces, promoting alternative energy, and reducing dependence on foreign fuel. McCain will create a presidential legacy by promoting the conservation of our environment.

John McCain is the best candidate in the 2008 ­election because his experience outweighs that of ­other candidates. ­McCain has devised two necessary plans that would directly help U.S. citizens and further the ­nation as a world power by setting a positive example for other countries.

bagpiper said...
this will be my year voting!!! You hit the nail on the head with McCain. I am glad that I am not the only Republican teenager!!! Win McCain and Palin!!!!

Sunshine said...
I respect his military service but you weren't specific enough for me about his policies. I'm sure McCain is a nice man, but I think Obama's policies would work better. Good writing though!

Scarlet Victoria said...
Very nice writing. I don't think I could have done a better job myself. I am much impressed. Although I am not old enough to vote, McCain for president all the way. I have come to that conclusion through my own reasoning a research. All the Obama supporters who just support him cause he's "hip" and he wants "hope" and "change", they need to do a little more research. And see who exactly they are supporting.

conservative71196 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm :
YES! YES! YES!

elmowannabe13@hotmail.com said...
Oct. 21, 2008 at 1:15 am:
While this was a very well written article, I'm afraid you left out some important facts. Like the fact that not only is McCain pretty much the next George W. (which in my opinion is NOT a good thing), but also Palin, who would take over the country if (when. I mean, how old is he?) he dies, is a complete joke...

conservative71196 replied...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm :
Are those really facts?

atmccall1 said...
Go mcCain

autad13 said...
McCain rocks

drking41 said...
the article was pretty good, but i like obma better

appysrule said...
Amazing! You probaly should have listed some downsides ( though I cant find very many, just to keep those who want to vote for Obama happy. Great work though and I tottaly agree with you. McCain for President!!!!!

Aerie said...
This article was very well written and I enjoyed reading it, but I must disagree with you on...everything? McCain is...I can't go into this now, of course, but let's just say that I don't think in the least that McCain is qualified and that the White House would suffer in his hands. Barack Obama isn't perfect either, but certainly, definitely better. Obama for president.

Liz said...
Sept. 9, 2008 at 2:47 am:
That's great and all. But you didn't list the many downsides.
The writing was fantastic. Good job.

Jake said...
Sept. 11, 2008 at 3:04 am:
Sorry kid, you can't write a persuasive essay without even mentioning the downfalls. You have to address those issues, not ignore them completely.

conservative71196 replied...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm :
I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously who calles someone else "kid" just to make their opinions and themselves seem superior, especially since you don't knowiff you are older than them.

ElePhantastic said...
WOW!!!! That was elePHANTASTIC!!!!! I agree with you SOOO much!!! GO MCCAIN!!!!! And the writing was great, too! :D