John McCain for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Republican candidate John McCain has experience in our nation’s government. His views on border security and the environment make him well suited for the nation’s soon-to-be vacant spot in the White House.

McCain shows great leadership and involvement in the nation’s welfare. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy and was a naval aviator for 22 years. He survived his first near-death experience in July 1967, as he was preparing to take off on a bombing mission during the Vietnam War. A rocket from a nearby plane struck and exploded the fuel tanks of McCain’s plane. McCain was given the option to go home with an honorable discharge, but he refused and volunteered for another five and half years. This act of courage shows McCain’s perseverance, strength, and determination to serve his country.

During McCain’s twenty-third bombing mission in Vietnam, he was shot down. Fortunately, he survived, but he became a prisoner of war for years at the “Hanoi Hilton” prison camp. After his release, ­McCain demonstrated once again his tenacious love for his country, continuing his career as a naval aviator. McCain retired from the Navy in 1981 with the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, and the Distinguished Flying Cross honors.

In 1982, McCain was elected to the House of Representatives from Arizona. He promoted strengthening the armed forces, reforming government, and eliminating unnecessary federal spending. Then, in 1986, he was elected to the U.S. Senate and has served continuously since.

McCain has experience close to the presidential ­position, making him an ideal next president of the United States. His campaign slogan speaks for itself: “Ready From Day One.” His experience in the armed forces and involvement in Congress give McCain significant advantages over other candidates.

McCain holds firm to his desire to secure the ­borders, and provides an effective plan for doing this. Illegal immigrants flood into the nation, costing millions of taxpayer dollars. McCain has devised a plan to tighten security at our borders. By doing this, McCain believes that the U.S. will be able to address immigration problems more effectively. McCain recognizes the importance of building strong allies with Latin America and assimilating our immigrant population, having them learn U.S. history and English.

McCain will also lead the way to a cleaner, greener environment. As a leader in preventing global warming, he vows to ensure cleaner air and water. McCain also believes that conserving U.S. resources will boost the nation’s economy. In addition, he would promote global participation in reducing greenhouse gases. McCain would like to reduce carbon emissions by harnessing market forces, promoting alternative energy, and reducing dependence on foreign fuel. McCain will create a presidential legacy by promoting the conservation of our environment.

John McCain is the best candidate in the 2008 ­election because his experience outweighs that of ­other candidates. ­McCain has devised two necessary plans that would directly help U.S. citizens and further the ­nation as a world power by setting a positive example for other countries.

SemiVeggie said...
Okay, sassafrasical. Yes, the debt has increased because Obama has had to pay out to fix some of the mess that he got when he came into office. For example, the new healthcare plan costs some to put into place, but it will ultimately save the US a little over 1 trillion dollars, so, if everything goes well the national debt will go down under President Obama. Also, I'm not entirely sure how the debt having increased since the President has been in office shows he's an idiot and a liar...

Anita This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm :
Natalie M-- wow. Are you serious? what if the people were born into poor households and didn't have the opportunity or money to go to college? you cannot just assume that all poor people are lazy. Just because you were born into a privileged environment doesn't mean that all people who weren't are bad. Your post makes me sad.

sassafrasical said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:30 am:
Obama is an idiot and a liar! The debt has increased 1.7 trillion dollars since he was elected!

DizzyRae replied...
May 3, 2010 at 3:49 pm :
Thats actually an lie..There was a statement released the other day saying that the recession. I can send u the site..but Im sure its not fully over but actually what it says is that the economy has grow 3.2%...People dont realize that he is trying

Lenah replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm :
i don't know if i have the same thoughts as you but i think he's trying, he has to be to be president! i don't think he was quite ready to take on the job though. but saying he is an idiot and a liar is quite radical. but i think your piece really made people think~ obviously. good job!:) i like it

edwardcullen4always said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:10 am:
I do not agree. I support Obama 100% but this was a really good article. It made me think. And I appreciate you not bashing Obama like other people do in there articles. :)

agarcia said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:43 pm:
I completely agree with you and I'm also happy to know I wasn't the only one thinking he should be president. And still think do..

Kari8 said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm:
great piece. it really seems like you did your research. reading this now after the election makes me happy that someone agreed with me about who should be president and honestly I still think that McCain would have made a president. Thanks for posting your views!

808Vips said...
Hey, not bad for persuasive essay writng.
BUT again, like everyone echoed, you could have made mentioned the downfalls or even better - made it a little personal. Could you relate strongly w/ McCain, or what he did? etc.
I think that would have made it really good. =)

Paramore said...
I think you wrote it well but I really have to disagree with your opinion. McCain was just like so many other past presidents that didn't do a god job. Maybe McCain would make a good president. But Obama is a change that we need to at least try out.

edwardcullen4always replied...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:14 am :
I agree. and I looovvveee your name Paramore. They r like my favorite group.

Lenah replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm :
well... as i have thought looking through the posts, nobody's perfect! what change did he bring? not much of one, at least for me. i still go to school everyday and i still know i'm not gonna get killed at school. well i don' t know for sure but i'm not afraid that it'll happen because there's a slim chance for that.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like the way you wrote it, but I have to disagree. OBOMA!

Anonymous504 replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 9:51 am :

OBOMA!!

lolz

you must be dumb replied...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 9:45 am :
OBOMA! is a horrible president. lolz

LaQuasia J. said...
Jul. 24, 2009 at 8:11 pm:
i dont think McCain would have fit the job. Im glad that Obama won. It shows how much this country has progressed. All this stuff about Obama and whether he is a citizen or not is a bunch of non-sense.

Rockerray101 said...
Jul. 11, 2009 at 3:49 pm:
No.NO. NO! The Republicians have ruined us! BEcause of them we are in a crisis! Bush was a Repubulican and he was horrible. And just because he knew a terrorist when he was a kid doesn't mean he is one.

And Guess what? BARACK OBAMA WON!

And the world will improve!

edwardcullen4always replied...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:12 am :
lol your response was humorous to me. You seem very intense but I agree with you. Bush was a mess.

Natalie M. replied...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm :

Bush did some bad things in his time but that doesn't mean that all republicans are bad or stupid. 

Long live republicans

Lenah replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm :
ha! did you see, someone spelled obama wrong, goes to see how little they know about him. i don't think it's all the republicans faults and saying it is isn't all that open minded. just saying. oh and no one is perfect. and the funny thing is, the nation hasn't improved one bit since obama became president. i don't think people should place blame on a whole group of people. doing that is acting hitler-ish. just saying. i agree with you natalie

are you smart? replied...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 9:48 am :
well lets all give a big round of applause to Lenah because it would appear that somebody actully does have a brain