John McCain for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Republican candidate John McCain has experience in our nation’s government. His views on border security and the environment make him well suited for the nation’s soon-to-be vacant spot in the White House.

McCain shows great leadership and involvement in the nation’s welfare. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy and was a naval aviator for 22 years. He survived his first near-death experience in July 1967, as he was preparing to take off on a bombing mission during the Vietnam War. A rocket from a nearby plane struck and exploded the fuel tanks of McCain’s plane. McCain was given the option to go home with an honorable discharge, but he refused and volunteered for another five and half years. This act of courage shows McCain’s perseverance, strength, and determination to serve his country.

During McCain’s twenty-third bombing mission in Vietnam, he was shot down. Fortunately, he survived, but he became a prisoner of war for years at the “Hanoi Hilton” prison camp. After his release, ­McCain demonstrated once again his tenacious love for his country, continuing his career as a naval aviator. McCain retired from the Navy in 1981 with the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, and the Distinguished Flying Cross honors.

In 1982, McCain was elected to the House of Representatives from Arizona. He promoted strengthening the armed forces, reforming government, and eliminating unnecessary federal spending. Then, in 1986, he was elected to the U.S. Senate and has served continuously since.

McCain has experience close to the presidential ­position, making him an ideal next president of the United States. His campaign slogan speaks for itself: “Ready From Day One.” His experience in the armed forces and involvement in Congress give McCain significant advantages over other candidates.

McCain holds firm to his desire to secure the ­borders, and provides an effective plan for doing this. Illegal immigrants flood into the nation, costing millions of taxpayer dollars. McCain has devised a plan to tighten security at our borders. By doing this, McCain believes that the U.S. will be able to address immigration problems more effectively. McCain recognizes the importance of building strong allies with Latin America and assimilating our immigrant population, having them learn U.S. history and English.

McCain will also lead the way to a cleaner, greener environment. As a leader in preventing global warming, he vows to ensure cleaner air and water. McCain also believes that conserving U.S. resources will boost the nation’s economy. In addition, he would promote global participation in reducing greenhouse gases. McCain would like to reduce carbon emissions by harnessing market forces, promoting alternative energy, and reducing dependence on foreign fuel. McCain will create a presidential legacy by promoting the conservation of our environment.

John McCain is the best candidate in the 2008 ­election because his experience outweighs that of ­other candidates. ­McCain has devised two necessary plans that would directly help U.S. citizens and further the ­nation as a world power by setting a positive example for other countries.

CDHLegendThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 4 at 2:48 pm:
This is a bit dated....

NickyJ said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 6:47 pm:

Thank god that guy didnt win the election. Obama sucks but McCain wouldv'e been far worse.

His policies would have been more disastrous than Bush's he's lobbied for bills that would take basic constitutional rights away from American Citizens.

To want him for president dies any kind of logic.

Desmothenes L. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:28 pm :

Your argument "McCain would've been far worse" is a commonly used one. Please elaborate for me what you mean.

Also, are you unaware that are consitutional rights are being abused already? Multiple laws tresspass the lines of the constitution. Please provide specific evidence upon your statement before making a bold claim like this.

fictitious-quandaryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:39 am :
Desmothenes you are very smart. We will never know what never happened. 

kurtis.m.russell said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 2:08 am:
In today's society these sorts of views are often taken. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who is voted for, politics is a game played only by the corrupt and the men and women of america who see fit to betray, pay and smile their way into the hearts of americans, poking at their hearts using the tools of terrorism, freedom and death. The democratic system that our country is supposedly founded on, once had the great potential for equality in all. But this potential has been squandered and no mat... (more »)

SunkistKisser said...
I'm a Democrat, my best friend is a Republican and we get along like peanut butter and jelly. Differences that make us all unique have a way of pulling the world apart. Electing a political leader is not about which "side" you're on, it's about choosing someone who you think would make the world a better place. Sometimes it's hard to remember that nobody is perfect, even the president of the United States. I think it's great that people are voicing their opinions, but voicing your opinion doesn'... (more »)

YoungAndAware said...
As a notice from the future, Obama has just passed the National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal 2012 on December 31st, 2011, allowing himself and the Attorney General to indefinitely detain or assassinate anyone "suspected" (without due process or a fair trial) of being a threat, a.k.a, a terrorist. This is a fine addition to the Patriot Act which we all know and love (end sarcasm) and I hope you are happy with your choice of candidate. Obama will not go down in history next to Martin Luth... (more »)

SunkistKisser replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:41 pm :
Please enlighten me on exactly what you would do if the last president started a war with the middle east and an entire country was looking to you for a way out of gigantic economic crisis. Being a president is supposed to be one of the most difficult jobs out there and it's quite easy to see why.

Jasmine7 said...
May 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm:
Good job, good researcxh, good structure, however I would advise you start some of your parahraphs with words other than "McCain" and focus a little less on his flying career- sure, that was great, but in a way so what? does he has the other side of being Pres, such as inspiring, fair, and fiscally responsible? If he does, show reasons.

balanced said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 8:57 am:
I agree with everything said here. Obama did not live up to what he promised the lower middle class which is the majority nationwide. He provides trillion dollar bailouts to banks , the federal reserve bank and not the regional ones, he passed the patriot act which he spoke out against, He is increasing the federal government , and the reason for which I hate Obamacare is that it is socialist , it frightens me to think a USA in which the government can ration your healthcare , it is a tool , i b... (more »)

ThatClarinetPersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm:
(I'm going to assume this is an old essay) While I may not agree with everything you say, this is a very well written and clearly researched essay. I'm half convinced that McCain should have been elected, but I'm a minor and Obama is already in office so it doesn't really matter. It would have been good for you to have gone into a bit more detail, but like I said, it doesn't matter anymore.

Aspiringauhor said...
Are you even kidding me? The elections have been over for so long. All this did was stir things up, and you know it. Obama is doing as great a job as he CAN do as President. I am sorry, but my opinion is that this article was simply an immature attempt to start an angry debate between others. 

Lenah replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm :
ha! they were putting their opinion up and it DID make people think! i think they did really really well. i don't think people should get so mad about it. it's just opinion for crying out loud! isn't everyone allowed to speak their beliefs?

Aspiringauhor replied...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm :
I take it you're Republican.

massacre replied...
Apr. 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm :
Hahaha. Oh. Wait. That made me sound bad. But I do agree with you, Aspiringauthor. Obama was who America chose.

Aspiringauhor replied...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
Why did "laughing" make you sound bad? :)

massacre replied...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm :
ha, I guess it made me sound bias or something. That's what my friend (Who is always reading over my shoulder) said... Oh well. :)

Beachgirl1 replied...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 3:21 pm :
yes, that is who the people voted for. I bet you most voted for him because of his skin color, and some voted against him because of it as well. there is bias on both sides

massacre replied...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm :
Well... on a certain level, I agree with Beachgirl1. I, as a biracial American, didn't really think much of his skin color, and wasn't rooting for him because of it. I believed in his politics more than I did McCain's. But many ignorant people looked at his skin color rather than his political standing place. Personally, I don't think that it's fair. As a sidenote, I thought it was stupid that people referred to him as the "black president". He is biracial-- black and white. Get over yourself. :P

Aspiringauhor replied...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm :
I did not vote, because I (unfortunately) am under the age of 18. However, both of my parents voted for him. Neither of them voted for him because he was African-American (or biracial... Sorry!). They both voted for him because they agreed with what he was saying in his campaign. My dad is a Republican and he still voted for Obama. And to massacre: Oh, I see. My friends do that, too. :)