Barack Obama for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every time an election rolls around, people want to know what each candidate’s stance is on the issues that are important to them. Now that I can vote, I am much more interested in the ­political race. In deciding which candidate I want to vote for, there are two main issues for me: the econ­omy and education.

These issues are important to me because they ­affect me the most right now. The economy affects everyone, and education is important because I am about to enter college. When I looked at how each candidate views these issues, one man stood out to me, and that is Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

I like all of Senator Obama’s ideas for improving the economy. He wants to bring the troops home from Iraq, thereby saving the $12 billon we spend there each and every month. Another point that ­Obama makes is that the United States’ current ene­rgy policy is hurting the economy. He ­believes that if new energy bills are passed, it will help the U.S. get out of its current economic slump, and I agree. Finally, Obama plans to eliminate millions worth of tax cuts for those who do not need them. With these ideas and strategies, I strongly ­believe that Obama can improve the current state of the economy.

Obama also has a plan to improve education. He believes that we need to start educating children at a young age. His plan, Children’s First Agenda, addresses early education. He also hopes to close the gap of achievement between students, which means improving schools that need help. He wants to pay teachers more and treat them like professionals, but in exchange he calls for higher accountability.

Obama also has a plan to make ­college more ­affordable. He wants public colleges to be free for students who maintain a “B” average during high school. And he plans to give a $4,000 tax credit for college and university students who complete 100 hours of community service each year. I believe these ideas to improve education are top-notch and will help many students in the United States.

Obama has many good ideas relating to the issues I care about, and I like what he has to say. Therefore, there is no longer any doubt in my mind who will be receiving my vote: Barack Obama.

fdjjjnj said...
no, i totally disagree

theblade said...
I used to think some of McCain's stances were good, but I watched a speech and I am for Obama, because he adresses the people's needs and doesn't get all "Maverick-y" and make his own personal decisions. Obama for prez. Thanks for the article.

ktg923 said...
Good article...i loooove it...it makes so many good points!!!

~Mrs. Officer~ said...
I lovee Barack Obama so much. I hope he wins!!!!!!!!!!

xovonaxo said...
i totally understand what you are saying even though i'm not old enough to vote and stuff i still believe that Barack Obama will make a great president

appysrule said...
I tottally disagree with everything said in this article. His " Lipstick on a pig" remark was most defiantely aimed at Palin. Wonderful writing style though!

FallingThisDay said...
This article is fantastic. I completely agree with you: Barack Obama is and should be the next President of the United States. Keep writing!

lizzykittylover replied...
Vote for Obama, and you are voting to destroy our country. Obama has only decieved and hurt our country... what good has he done our country yet?

Liz said...
Sept. 9, 2008 at 2:50 am
I loved it! You probably could have made it longer, but then it would be boring.. Good Job!

ElePhantastic said...
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. I am ALL for McCain. You did make some excellent points, though. Well done! And the writing style was excellent! You would never guess you were a teenager!