Barack Obama for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every time an election rolls around, people want to know what each candidate’s stance is on the issues that are important to them. Now that I can vote, I am much more interested in the ­political race. In deciding which candidate I want to vote for, there are two main issues for me: the econ­omy and education.

These issues are important to me because they ­affect me the most right now. The economy affects everyone, and education is important because I am about to enter college. When I looked at how each candidate views these issues, one man stood out to me, and that is Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

I like all of Senator Obama’s ideas for improving the economy. He wants to bring the troops home from Iraq, thereby saving the $12 billon we spend there each and every month. Another point that ­Obama makes is that the United States’ current ene­rgy policy is hurting the economy. He ­believes that if new energy bills are passed, it will help the U.S. get out of its current economic slump, and I agree. Finally, Obama plans to eliminate millions worth of tax cuts for those who do not need them. With these ideas and strategies, I strongly ­believe that Obama can improve the current state of the economy.

Obama also has a plan to improve education. He believes that we need to start educating children at a young age. His plan, Children’s First Agenda, addresses early education. He also hopes to close the gap of achievement between students, which means improving schools that need help. He wants to pay teachers more and treat them like professionals, but in exchange he calls for higher accountability.

Obama also has a plan to make ­college more ­affordable. He wants public colleges to be free for students who maintain a “B” average during high school. And he plans to give a $4,000 tax credit for college and university students who complete 100 hours of community service each year. I believe these ideas to improve education are top-notch and will help many students in the United States.

Obama has many good ideas relating to the issues I care about, and I like what he has to say. Therefore, there is no longer any doubt in my mind who will be receiving my vote: Barack Obama.

Sunshineyday said...
As a student I like Obama's attention to education reform. The incentives offered to students and teachers for performing well should be very motivating. However, I do not think things such as 'longer school years and school days' are a good idea.

xxxrEnxxx replied...
Apr. 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
i would cry if that happened..within the next 3 years lmao

JoCoGirl said...
I totally DISAGREE! Obama's "change" is not for the betterment of America. He has not helped us at all. He is ruining the economy by ending car distributers and taking over the banks. Everything he touches seems to be dying. I did not personally like McCain, but I did back him because it was either somewhat ok or worse. And McCain had Palin, which made him a better candidate. I also do not like Obama because I do not think if he is allowed to keep on like he has been, that I will ... (more »)

kelles replied...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 1:59 pm :
you are the best one i think you can do anything you want .

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 9:47 am :
JoCoGirl, I completely agree. If things get worse, I'm heading out to Australia...Get strong my friend! :-)

RepVic said...
Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:54 am:
Okay. I've heard a million times that Obama would be a good president because, "he's our first black president." So what. I dislike Obama for a thousand reasons and not one of them is because he is black, but i think it is absolute CRAP that he be praised and chosen just because he would be our first black president. That's the only reason he won in the first place. Black votes and young white people who dont know what they're talking about and arent informed of important situations.... (more »)

xxxrEnxxx replied...
Apr. 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm :
I cant wait until 2012, when hopefully Herman Cain will be on the ballot. Im curious to see whether it'll affect votes at all considering he's black, and a Republican also. Maybe race did play a big role in the election. If so, we're in luck my friend. :)

BuddyJiles replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm :
What is wrong with socialism?

HOPEMVP said...
You presented your agrument more as a middle school student class opinion paper. I would however liked your presentation, not so much your topic.

_truth replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 10:10 pm :
ahah yess                     

Juls said...
Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:15 pm:
nice to know a little about Barack. but i went for McCain. well he did want to make changes. Nice piece of writing.

xalanahx said...
Feb. 12, 2009 at 2:43 am:
I was for McCain... But it kind of occurred to me that recently all Obama has been know as is, 'The first black/African American President'. It seems like people would rather he be known for his race more than the supposed 'change' he will bring. But overall, it was very good in writing.

candieboo<3 said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:17 am:
Well it really doesn't matter who dislikes him, he's here for 4 years, 8 if he's re-elected so yepp, sorry all that think old mccain should of won. I love my african american president though.

ps. dontcha think its nice to have some first kids in the white house for a change =]] i love itt!

-candice

EverlastingWords said...
How? What has this country come to. Your writing was excellent but your opinion appalled me! I was sent aghast. I am only supposed to comment you on writing so well done with getting your point across, but i think you need more numerical facts instead of statements he said. I am not getting into politics, but Obama is the end of the wonderful 50 states of America as we know it (or according to him, in an actual TV show where he was making a speech he said "I have visited 57 states in Americ... (more »)

Jess B. said...
Jan. 24, 2009 at 1:50 am:
This subject is obviouslly quite controversial...I, for one, do not agree with many of Obama's ideas and beliefs. However, I don't think McCain would have been that much better anyways.

Thanks for being bold enough to share your thoughts and take the heat. Although I do not agree with you, I say, Bravo!

- Jess B.

skaterGurl17 said...
Jan. 24, 2009 at 1:36 am:
i dislike Obama!
i wanted McCain!!!!!!!!!

artofthedeath said...
Jan. 23, 2009 at 12:36 am:
You only talked about Obama. In your opening paragraph, you made it seem like you were going to compare the two candidates. Although McCain was not the bst qualified for president, Obama had less experience that he did. I don't think like you. But hey, we all have our differences.
You sounded a little monotone the whole time.

Alexxx said...
WOW Kitty Obama didnt become president until yesterday and you posted the comment

TheVoice said...
Totally agree! Yeah, we may lose some things, but we will gain much more. In this big econamic crisis we're in he really is the thing we need. Of course, the whole race issue has caused some conflict, but it's about time America looked past that and focus on what he can do instead. What most peolpe don't get is that, now that he is president, we are going to need to play our role in this epic recovery. LIke, we can't just sit back and think, "Oh, thank god. He's president. He'll fix everyth... (more »)

Rise said...
I am very scared on your points, you beleive that if the troops come back well save our money, that might be true, but if the troops aren't in Iraq and Iran, the terrorists WILL come back to haunt us, and I think you know what i mean by that people. Also, if we make schools less expensive, the schools will run out of buisness because of low payment. And shouldn't we let the states handel their own school programs?