Barack Obama for President | Teen Ink

Barack Obama for President MAG

Every time an election rolls around, people want to know what each candidate’s stance is on the issues that are important to them. Now that I can vote, I am much more interested in the ­political race. In deciding which candidate I want to vote for, there are two main issues for me: the econ­omy and education.

These issues are important to me because they ­affect me the most right now. The economy affects everyone, and education is important because I am about to enter college. When I looked at how each candidate views these issues, one man stood out to me, and that is Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

I like all of Senator Obama’s ideas for improving the economy. He wants to bring the troops home from Iraq, thereby saving the $12 billon we spend there each and every month. Another point that ­Obama makes is that the United States’ current ene­rgy policy is hurting the economy. He ­believes that if new energy bills are passed, it will help the U.S. get out of its current economic slump, and I agree. Finally, Obama plans to eliminate millions worth of tax cuts for those who do not need them. With these ideas and strategies, I strongly ­believe that Obama can improve the current state of the economy.

Obama also has a plan to improve education. He believes that we need to start educating children at a young age. His plan, Children’s First Agenda, addresses early education. He also hopes to close the gap of achievement between students, which means improving schools that need help. He wants to pay teachers more and treat them like professionals, but in exchange he calls for higher accountability.

Obama also has a plan to make ­college more ­affordable. He wants public colleges to be free for students who maintain a “B” average during high school. And he plans to give a $4,000 tax credit for college and university students who complete 100 hours of community service each year. I believe these ideas to improve education are top-notch and will help many students in the United States.

Obama has many good ideas relating to the issues I care about, and I like what he has to say. Therefore, there is no longer any doubt in my mind who will be receiving my vote: Barack Obama.

_truth GOLD said...
_truth GOLD, Prospect, Kentucky

"it's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for what your not..."
"life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take but by the number of moments that take your breath away"

ahah yess                     

_truth GOLD said...
_truth GOLD, Prospect, Kentucky

You might think we will be saving $12 billion but Obama has propsed more spending in 20 months than all the presidents combined. When you say "eliminate millions worth of tax cuts for those who do not need them", I wonder if you realized that its for people who make over $200,000 a year and that is 50% of the small business owners. Small businesses supply over 75% of job growth in the US. When the tax cuts expire in January it will not stimulate the economy, it will stifle it.  And when you say "colleges to be free" and "give a $4,000 tax credit for college and university students" you're not thinking about when you graduate from college. Where do you think he will get this money? How do you think he will pay for that education? We are trillions of dollars in debt. While it sounds nice, since I will also be going to college soon, I know I will be paying for it in the future through taxes or some other government run program that robs us of our hard, earned, money. Nothing is free. I don't mean to sound harsh but its the truth.

LittleBit said...
YOu talked about how Obama wanted to educate children at a younger age. Pretty soon there's probably going to be night care. The gov. simply wants to raise this country's children

on Feb. 17 2010 at 9:47 am
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

JoCoGirl, I completely agree. If things get worse, I'm heading out to Australia...Get strong my friend! :-)

Kari8 said...
Kari8, Dexter, Michigan

You don't know what you don't know

I really like the way you stated your views. I personally am a supporter of McCain, even now after the election. But I think that you did a great job showing McCain supporters like me, a bit of the other side of the story.

on Jan. 8 2010 at 10:06 am
BlackMoonWhiteSky PLATINUM, Cedar Park, Texas

Thus is life, live it, or die trying!

Word are just words, good ideals are nice but they don't mean squat if someone doesn't do anything about them.

By the way, your paper is very well written and organized.

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

Exactly, you are correct and I agree with you. Good Job

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
Good work. You present yourself very well and I agree entirely.

kelles said...
you are the best one i think you can do anything you want .

Sunshineyday said...
As a student I like Obama's attention to education reform. The incentives offered to students and teachers for performing well should be very motivating. However, I do not think things such as 'longer school years and school days' are a good idea.

CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina

"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."

- Pres. Ronald Reagan

I totally DISAGREE! Obama's "change" is not for the betterment of America. He has not helped us at all. He is ruining the economy by ending car distributers and taking over the banks. Everything he touches seems to be dying. I did not personally like McCain, but I did back him because it was either somewhat ok or worse. And McCain had Palin, which made him a better candidate. I also do not like Obama because I do not think if he is allowed to keep on like he has been, that I will have much of a country to call mine. Our freedoms are slowly and quietly being taken away by this man and some Americans have seen it and they are not happy. You can only push a people so far before they won't take it any longer and some of these politicians are going to learn that lesson.

RepVic said...
on Aug. 6 2009 at 1:54 am
Okay. I've heard a million times that Obama would be a good president because, "he's our first black president." So what. I dislike Obama for a thousand reasons and not one of them is because he is black, but i think it is absolute CRAP that he be praised and chosen just because he would be our first black president. That's the only reason he won in the first place. Black votes and young white people who dont know what they're talking about and arent informed of important situations. Sure obama makes his plans sound good, but anyone can CLAIM things. it takes alot to actually follow through with them. Obama will run this country to the ground.He will bring socialism to this country and we as young people will be screwed out of health care when we are older. If this man was white, i'd dislike him just as much. He's an idiot. He needs to go back to what he was doing before to gain a little experience.

HOPEMVP said...
You presented your agrument more as a middle school student class opinion paper. I would however liked your presentation, not so much your topic.

Juls said...
nice to know a little about Barack. but i went for McCain. well he did want to make changes. Nice piece of writing.

xalanahx said...
on Feb. 12 2009 at 2:43 am
I was for McCain... But it kind of occurred to me that recently all Obama has been know as is, 'The first black/African American President'. It seems like people would rather he be known for his race more than the supposed 'change' he will bring. But overall, it was very good in writing.

candieboo<3 said...
on Jan. 25 2009 at 5:17 am
Well it really doesn't matter who dislikes him, he's here for 4 years, 8 if he's re-elected so yepp, sorry all that think old mccain should of won. I love my african american president though.

ps. dontcha think its nice to have some first kids in the white house for a change =]] i love itt!

-candice

Jess B. said...
on Jan. 24 2009 at 1:50 am
This subject is obviouslly quite controversial...I, for one, do not agree with many of Obama's ideas and beliefs. However, I don't think McCain would have been that much better anyways.

Thanks for being bold enough to share your thoughts and take the heat. Although I do not agree with you, I say, Bravo!

- Jess B.

skaterGurl17 said...
on Jan. 24 2009 at 1:36 am
i dislike Obama!

i wanted McCain!!!!!!!!!

How? What has this country come to. Your writing was excellent but your opinion appalled me! I was sent aghast. I am only supposed to comment you on writing so well done with getting your point across, but i think you need more numerical facts instead of statements he said. I am not getting into politics, but Obama is the end of the wonderful 50 states of America as we know it (or according to him, in an actual TV show where he was making a speech he said "I have visited 57 states in America, I still have more to go."

on Jan. 23 2009 at 12:36 am
You only talked about Obama. In your opening paragraph, you made it seem like you were going to compare the two candidates. Although McCain was not the bst qualified for president, Obama had less experience that he did. I don't think like you. But hey, we all have our differences.

You sounded a little monotone the whole time.