Stricter Gun Control This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Did you know that all handguns are semi-automatic? This means that all that stands between you and death is the pull of a trigger. Limited access to handguns would decrease violence, as has been proven in the past by numerous laws. In addition, the mass killings that throw a blanket of loss and sorrow upon our nation can only be done with guns.

The opposing argument – that the Second Amendment applies and gives us the right to possess guns – is not supported with evidence, and is plain hogwash. When the amendment was adopted in 1791, the general public made up the militia to which the amendment refers. By this definition, only the military and other state security groups, such as the National Guard, should possess the right to bear arms.

Many including Kurt Eichenwald of Vanity Fair, believe that “America needs to repeal the Second Amendment.” Those who do not support gun control believe the solution is to allow everyone to have guns for self-defense. Consider, though, how many brawls break out every day. If everyone has a gun, these fights might not end with just concussions and black eyes; more people would die. On the other side of the argument, with more sensible ­reasons, gun control advocates believe firearms should be taken away from the mentally ill and criminals. The endless debating, conflicts and deaths caused by guns is why my state of Michigan should limit access to handguns.

Quite simply, guns cause violence and death. Even though the U.S. populates only five percent of the world, we own almost 50 percent of civilian guns worldwide. Gun control laws help keep the public safe from heavy artillery weapons. Although the laws in place should be stricter, there is sufficient proof that they succeed in protecting the public. According to the Macmillan Social Science ­Library, the 1994 Brady Law, which required background checks and a five-day waiting period for all handgun sales, prompted a ­drastic decline in violence. Aggravated assaults involving guns dropped 12.4 ­percent, violent crimes from guns decreased by 35 percent, and more than 500,000 convicted felons were prevented from purchasing firearms. After the 1989 ban on importing assault rifles, the number of rifles used in homicides fell by 45 percent the very next year!

The number of people affected by gun violence in America is devastating. Their slogan perfectly summarizes the need for stricter gun control laws. “There are too many victims of gun violence because we make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons in America.” Their research showed that in 2011, one-fifth of the 100,000 people shot in the United States were children and teens. Currently, background checks do not ­include charges in non-criminal offenses such as domestic violence and mental health. Creating stricter gun control laws would keep guns away from those who may become violent with the possession of a dangerous weapon.

Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, and Columbine. These mass shootings were all performed with semi-automatic handguns. The shooters had psychological issues. In addition, there have been 70 mass shootings since the attempted assassination of Senator Gifford two years ago. In fact, disputes involving guns have become more and more frequent.

Other devastating outcomes can result from the ­severe trauma of a shooting. In Houston, Texas, several people had cardiac arrests from the stress of a shooting situation. Another consequence is the very grave ­incidents of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). The victims of the Columbine incident had reactions after the killing at Sandy Hook. After a near-death experience, and likely physical injuries, victims are also hindered by psychological issues.

The most important and core democratic value, the right to life, has been violated by loose, lethargic gun-control laws. Since this core democratic value is a right we all possess, each person has the right to the protection of his or her life. Guns endanger lives and deprive us of the first natural right listed in the Declaration of Independence. “We … are endowed … with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Guns have compromised this right to life, and have also deprived us of feeling safe and secure.

As John F. Kennedy put it, “Change is the law of life.” It is time we changed the laws that made it possible for 20 first-graders to die. We must make it much more difficult for anyone with an untreated mental illness, or someone who has been in prison, to buy a gun. Many others are affected by the effects of these mass shootings including those who have lost loved ones. Even if those killed are not our acquaintances, our spirits are struck by a brutal blow. After the killing of five- and six-year-old children, we cannot help but think: What if? What would their lives have been like? What will they never experience? This is why we must limit access to handguns and make stricter gun-control laws, in the state of Michigan, and the rest of the country.

m-ashreader said...
Oct. 2 at 1:11 pm
So someone breaks into your home at night. You can't protect yourself because the government has taken you gun. Then your family dies because you had no way to protect yourself. Let's be honest if bad guys want guns, there going to get guns even if our government takes everyone else's. It's kind of like drugs. Are they illegal? Yes, but still hundreds if not thousands of people still manage to get there hands on them and die everyday. This happens in Mexico all the time. Weapons are not a... (more »)
T.Snow said...
Jun. 26 at 4:38 pm
“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.” ― Adolf Hitler From the living devil himself. This sums up what they are slowly and successfully doing to not only our country and our lives, but our future abi... (more »)
m-ashreader replied...
Oct. 2 at 1:14 pm
This an amazing and true! Thank you so much for writing it. I totally agree with you!!!
ABPippins said...
May 12 at 12:49 pm
Guns don't kill people. It's the person pulling the trigger that kills people. Guns, in the right hands, are tools to protect, i.e. the police or the military. In order for guns to become a non-issue, education is needed. Not instilling fear in the hearts of Americans, who be those very same unalienable rights, are entitled to their weapons if they feel them necessary to protect their homes, families, and prosperity. Many people make a living as soldiers. If we eradicate the Second Amendment, it... (more »)
mplo replied...
today at 9:22 am
As an advocate of Gun Control, I strongly disagree with the NRA-propagated phrase "Guns don't kill, people do." Guns do kill people, because guns (except hunting rifles, of course), are weapons of war that are designed to kill people, and they do that with incredible accuracy and alacrity. All it takes is the aiming at the person from a distance and the pull of a trigger to either bring about a death, or a permanent maiming, and therefore an adverse change in one's quality of life.
Clinton C. said...
Mar. 20 at 11:09 am
oops sorry my internet caused a double post
Clinton C. said...
Mar. 20 at 11:06 am
As long as america is free there will be no "Taking guns away" they take guns away from people who need it to be taken away so dont punish the good people who spend money on hunting licences and buy guns to hunt for their family's, Also guns dont kill people, people kill people and no i didnt get that from a certain tv show i honestly do think that and so do many more americans. P.S. im not saying america should not be free i'm just saying that america's gun laws will most likely not ever be str... (more »)
abcdef replied...
Apr. 29 at 9:08 am
EXACTLY! That is so true, THANK YOU!
Clinton C. said...
Mar. 20 at 11:03 am
As long as america is free there will be no "Taking guns away" they take guns away from people who need it to be taken away so dont punish the good people who spend money on hunting licences and buy guns to hunt for their family's, Also guns dont kill people, people kill people and no i didnt get that from a certain tv show i honestly do think that and so do many more americans.
lovely22 said...
Feb. 15 at 9:40 am
First off, to everyone criticizing the first sentence, you're really missing the entire point of the article. Could you at least focus on gun control, not a technicality? Secondly, I thoroughly understand that people can find other ways to kill (bombs, knives, etc.), but taking away guns would decrease violence in the US exponentially. I agree COMPLETELY that guns can't shoot people by themselves. A person plus a gun can shoot people. But take away the gun, and what do you get? A person, and no... (more »)
Hunter_whatever replied...
Mar. 12 at 10:56 pm
Don't forget,though, that if people don't have guns, then they'll simply resort to other dangerous weapons. Even if it's legal, like a kitchen knife, they'll use it, and even though they won't kill as many people, they'll still devastate the same number of people.
jimmyblair This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12 at 9:40 pm
Thing is, the people who legally obtain guns are not the problem. It's those who (more likely than not) *illegally* obtain them. Who are these people? These are your murderers, your psychopaths, etc. Like the guy below me said, if someone has an insatiable desire to kill, they will find a way. The guns are not a problem. Guns help us "regular" folks defend ourselves and feel "safe and secure." Now I don't personally own a gun (nor does anyone in my family), but I firmly believe that if a citizen... (more »)
mplo replied...
today at 9:30 am
Guns, imho, provide a false sense of security. Most guns are not used in self-defense, and, moreover, they can be taken away from the owner by the intruder/attacker. Ever heard the expression "No matter how great you are (or think you are), there's always somebody who'll be your master."? That applies here, perfectly, because there'll always be somebody quicker on the draw than the gun owner who supposedly pulls out his gun in self-defense in the event of a home invasion or whatever.
CNH11967 said...
Jan. 15 at 2:03 pm
The accusation that guns are the reason that mass killings and violence occurs is absurd. Yes, guns are a weapon, but the truly lethal killer is the person who is holding the gun. The world would still have killings, violence, and hatred without guns. If someone really has the urge to kill they will, whether it’s with a gun or not. People don’t realize that there are other sources of weapons besides guns. If you blame the gun for the killings, then you obviously need to check your morals. ... (more »)
LarryArnold said...
Dec. 3, 2014 at 1:27 am
[The mass killings...can only be done with guns.] The three worst mass killings in the U.S. over the last 25 years were gun-free. Happyland Night Club, firebomb; Murrah Building, truck bomb; 9-11, box cutter. [One-fifthof the people shot in the U.S. were children and teens.] And the vast majority were 17 to 19 year-old gangbangers. [Disputes involving guns have become more and more frequent.] The violent crime rate, including crimes involving firearms, has been dropping since 1993, eve... (more »)
Hilarious said...
Outstanding troll 10/10 would read again
teebonicus said...
Unfortunately, you have been thoroughly mis-educated. The Bill of Rights guarantees INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS from government abuse. The Second Amendment guarantees the right OF THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms.   "It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that so much of what they know is wrong." - Ronald Wilson Reagan
Hotdog11 said...
There are so many things wrong with this students thoughts it would take a week to explain it correctly. Whereever gun control has been tried violent crime increases. Thsat is true in England as an example. That is the violent crime they admit to is 3 to 4 times ours and the highest in Europe, Go ahead kids disprove it. You can't.
FrankInFL said...
If gun owners were as ignorant, callous, vicious, venal, and violent as the anti-gun crowd (and this article's author) always depict us bodies would be stacked like cord wood on street corners from coast to coast (and they're not).  In the process of getting there, the species H. armatus would become endangered (at least) or extinct.  NRA members, being (on the whole) heavily armed, would find themselves the first demographic to go extinct as they kill each other off daily. C... (more »)
HacobJidalgo said...
Saying guns cause violence is like saying "all white people are fat", because its not true and it would never be true, because it depends on the user, I agree on the stricter policies part, but I still don't understand why people should ban video games or ban certain music because this makes people go balistic and go rouge and start killing off everybody one by one. In fact I dissagred with you from the start. Good day to you sir or mam.