Marriage?

In my American Literature class at school, we had a circle-up discussion on Naturalism. I started with the question, “Why do some cultures take important issues to such extremes?” I would have liked the chance to talk about where my question originated, however, I’m shy when it comes to full-class discussions, and I didn't speak up. Two days before our discussion, we walked around the classroom and we looked at pictures posted all around the room. There was one certain picture and caption that really caught my eye, and it was a picture of a little girl. The caption talked about how she was awakened in the middle of the night by her uncle to be married. She was a five year old girl from India and even now in India, the events that happened that night, along with many I assume, was illegal. I realize that in India marrying children seems perfectly normal to the citizens, but for me it’s a subject that’s really hard for me to grasp. I’m seventeen, that would be like me getting married twelve years ago, and honestly, I don’t see myself getting married for another eight to ten years. With the way our culture is in America, and the way I was raised, I just can’t seem to wrap my mind around that idea, and for me it’s disappointing.