Is the Penny Still Useful? | Teen Ink

Is the Penny Still Useful?

February 21, 2013
By James Morrissey BRONZE, Princetion, New Jersey
James Morrissey BRONZE, Princetion, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If anyone said if I had a penny for every time I said the penny didn’t matter, I’d have tons of pennies. Does it? It is only one cent, compared to five, 10, 25 cents. Why should the one cent on our life’s matter. It has no value in today’s world, and it is a hassle to try to find $19.04 for a price, then you pay $20 and get 94 cents. If it was $19.05, then that would be easier to give to the cashier and you don’t get 94 cents left.

The penny was created for a reason, and that reason, is no longer valid. If the penny didn’t exist, exchanging money for an item would be so much easier. When I hear the price $9.99, it makes me cringe. Why can’t you round it to $10.00? For marketing? “Oh mom, please! It is only nine dollars! Not ten!” Who wants to get 1 cent back? I’d rather just give the cashier ten dollars and say keep the change.

If the penny didn’t exist, everything would end in a five or ten. Much better. Then I wouldn’t have to find one to four pennies, or get back change in the upper ninety’s. When you get all the change back, you either put it in the tip jar, (which I think the penny was made for) for stuff it in your wallet. Change usually doesn’t work in wallets. They don’t get along. The penny would be so much better to just be gone with.

Usually, I either have all pennies that I discard because I just don’t like pennies, and because they take up so much space in my wallet/pocket. Cashiers don’t like them, women usually don’t like them in their wallets, men usually don’t like them in their pockets. “That will be $8.99” Anything that ends with a 99, or something that doesn’t end with a five or ten, just is annoying. Pennies should be left out of our currency.