Lawsuit Causes Uproar in Connecticut | Teen Ink

Lawsuit Causes Uproar in Connecticut

By alyssa.wiese PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
alyssa.wiese PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

On December 14th 2012, Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, suffered a great loss after 20 students and six teachers were shot and killed by gunman Adam Lanza. Shortly after, parents of a surviving student decided to sue the state of Connecticut.
An unidentified student, referred to as Jane Doe, was a survivor in the Sandy Hook shooting. Parents of the student chose to hire attorney Irving Pinsky to sue the state for 100 million dollars with the claim that “[Doe] suffered emotional and psychological trauma and injury.”

As of now, Pinsky has withdrawn his request for the lawsuit because “we didn’t like stirring up a community we love.”
Pinsky’s lawsuit caused uproar across the country, though that is not a reason for withdrawing the case.
Once word had spread about the lawsuit, people fled to the internet to give Pinsky a piece of their mind.
A Facebook group called “Irving Pinsky-Greedy Attorney” has comments about Pinsky stating that he is “sickening” “blood-sucking” and a “slime ball.”
But what these people forget is that the family of the victim is the reason there is a lawsuit. They chose to take action and Pinsky is only the attorney.
Although the lawsuit was withdrawn, Pinsky still has up to one year to pursue litigation.
The lawsuit caused such a commotion because instead of fighting against the school, people should be coming together after the astonishing deaths.
Many people believe the events were inevitable because there was only so much that could have been done once the shooter had entered the school.
But the teachers tried to provide as much security as they could. On that day, the teachers became heroes for what they did to save their students.
Teacher Victoria Soto hid her students in a closet and told Lanza they were in another area of the school. Soto was shot and killed, but her students survived.
But others believe that if the school had greater security, the shooting could have been prevented.
Although I believe schools should have better security, I think it was an unexpected tragedy that couldn’t have been prevented. There was no way to anticipate that sort of event and know how to take action. The protection the teachers gave to their students was remarkable and saved the lives of many children.