Gun Laws: The Great Debate | Teen Ink

Gun Laws: The Great Debate

January 12, 2013
By BeccaRodwell BRONZE, Lake Delton, Wisconsin
BeccaRodwell BRONZE, Lake Delton, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
-Gandhi


In the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, I am writing this piece on the great debate of gun laws in America. Gun laws is a very touchy subject for some. A lot of people do not want to talk about it. That's exactly why I am writing this.

Sixteen mass shootings happened in 2012 in America. I believe that if we had an entire system in place to decrease the number of shootings, the number would eventually go down. In this article I will go into detail about what my idea is.

The first thing we need to address in bullying in school. We need less hate in the classroom, on the playground, and on the bus. I assume that if there was a better environment for kids from the start, less violence would happen later.

The second thing we need to tackle is mental illness. There needs to be action taken to help mentally unstable individuals. There needs to be help out there.

In the case of the shooting in Oak Creek, WI, which was an act of terrorism, there needs to be an organization keeping track of the dangerous individuals action.

When The individual begins to seem suspicious, that's when the organization that is keeping track of them needs to take action.

The last part of my system is the one that we've all been waiting for; stricter gun laws. I'm not talking about taking everyone's guns away. I don't think that it would be right to take away everyone's guns just because a few dangerous individuals shot people. However, I feel that it would be safer for everyone if there was full background checks on those buying a gun and/or ammo. I think it should be illegal to buy guns and/or ammo online just because of the fact that you can be anyone online.

As a side note, I also think that there needs to be less violence in the media. I don't think that people really pay attention to the ratings on video games, music, and in the movies.

In conclusion, I feel that this system that I just detailed in the safest for the United States Of America. We need to pay attention to bullying in school, mental illness, and the tracking of dangerous individuals. We also need stricter gun laws. I believe that it all starts with US.


The author's comments:
This piece is on what I feel the US government needs to do to tackle gun safety.