Your Privacy Rights | Teen Ink

Your Privacy Rights

January 8, 2013
By Danny Carney BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Danny Carney BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For my extra credit I decided to read an article in The New York Times. The one I chose was a controversy about this New York newspaper. The newspaper was for one of the suburbs in New York and it published the names and addresses of gun permit holders in two counties in New York. It was controversial whether or not that was irresponsible of the newspaper to post such personal information. In my opinion it was very irresponsible and a blatant disregard of the people’s privacy. On another note, it is legal in these United States to own a firearm so the newspaper has absolutely no right to publish such personal information such as someone’s address, especially if they aren’t doing anything illegal. The person who was responsible for publishing this claims that it was “a public service” and that since the Connecticut shooting happened, people have the right to know who owns a weapon near them. People will have their own opinions about these things, and I doubt people will ever be in agreement on this topic, but no matter what the circumstances (such as the school shooting) nobody should be allowed to publish someone’s address in a public newspaper.