Gun Control and the Consequences That Come With It | Teen Ink

Gun Control and the Consequences That Come With It

January 10, 2013
By Governor BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
Governor BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Mitch Hedberg


In this age, we have been too lenient with the sales and ownership of guns. Congress needs to crack down on the sales of guns. After the shootings in 2012, it shows that we as a country have not paid enough attention to the people that are being sold the guns and the types of guns that people buy. Congress is currently striving to create laws about magazine capacity and the rate of bullets that a gun can fire per second.

There are many ups and downs to having restricted access to guns. Everyone is caught up with how bad guns are, they don’t realize that guns can also be used to save people’s lives. In Texas, a man walked into a restaurant, shot an employee, and then pursued the customers across the street into a movie theater. As it is, a female off-duty cop was watching a movie. As soon as he entered, she cornered him in the bathroom where she shot him until she could take his gun. The employee later recovered and the man is still in the hospital.

As we know, guns have also been used for many bad circumstances. People continue to mourn for the all of the victims in Newtown, Connecticut. This was the most recent addition to the ever-growing list of school shootings that are happening.

The most recent poll showed that 49% of Americans want to protect people’s rights about owning guns, and 45% of Americans want to have laws enforced about gun ownership. From 1993 to 2008, the public said the opposite. They wanted stricter control on the ownership of guns.

This may be looked at as just another hard decision for Congress to make, but this may end up shaping the way we live. Many people could view this as an end to the violence, but others could view this as less protection against evil. This could be good or bad for the public depending on the owner of the gun and the owner’s intentions. Whatever the outcome is, only half of the public will be satisfied.


Sources
http://www.people-press.org/2012/04/25/more-support-for-gun-rights-gay-marriage-than-in-2008-or-2004/
http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/12-17-12-texas-movie-theater-shooting-creates-chaos-and-fear-but-quick-thinking-security-guard-steps-in/