Hurricane Sandy | Teen Ink

Hurricane Sandy

By Abby Kronau BRONZE, Averill Park Ny, New York
Abby Kronau BRONZE, Averill Park Ny, New York

Superstorm Sandy or Hurricane Sandy was devastating to many people. Some say it was just a freak storm, and others say it was caused by global warming. What do you think? I think it is because of global warming. If it is we must start to change our ways. Who knows what other kind of storms we could get, and they may be much worse than Sandy.

Global warming has been an escalating problem around the world. I believe Superstorm Sandy was caused by global warming. Scientists were predicting that she was on her way. Many people lost their houses and personal belongings during the storm. We as people need to start being more eco friendly. If we don’t we may experience much worse storms than Sandy.

Some people also say that Sandy was just a freak storm. As the ice caps melt the water level in the ocean rises. This causes large winds to occur. Over time the winds become so strong that hurricanes and other large storms occur. This is the very way that Superstorm Sandy took place. Over 4.8 million people were without power after Hurricane Sandy hit in the northeastern area. We have experienced freak storms before, but in my opinion Sandy did not hit us by surprise. the repairs for Sandy will cost about $50 billion dollars. Many of my friends and family lost their homes during Superstorm Sandy, as well as others I don’t know.

Freak Storm or not, Hurricane Sandy was one of the worst storms we have experienced in a while. Millions of people were devastated. If Superstorm Sandy was caused by global warming, people need to start being more conservative. Scientists can make solutions for this and they are, but the common person can only help the most. Hurricane Sandy is unforgettable.

About Hurricane Sandy