Felons did the crime, and now shouldn’t vote anytime | Teen Ink

Felons did the crime, and now shouldn’t vote anytime

November 30, 2012
By Gretchen Berg BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Gretchen Berg BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

November 4, 2012
Mr. President
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
Washington, DC 20500


Dear Mr. President,


To vote is to formally indicate the choice you’ve made, and this choice will affect our country forever. Voting is a constitutional right, one that defines our nation as a Democracy. But once you are a convicted felon, you should no longer be given the privilege of voting. Do you trust the opinions of convicted felons to be part of this decision?

Some states allow felons the right to vote once they have finished serving their sentence. According to Transparency International, corruption in the prison system is both deep rooted and extensive. Coming out of an institution like this, felons’ opinions have been corrupted by what they’ve experienced. After committing a crime, he or she is no longer considered a law abiding citizen. In addition, people who commit serious crimes are less likely to be trustworthy citizens.

While it is true that some people served time and are able to turn their lives around, the law should not be bent for these rare cases. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, from 1983 to 1994 over two-thirds of released prisoners were re-arrested within three years. The individuals who turn their lives around are the exceptions to this rule.

Right now, in 12 states, convicted felons may lose their vote permanently and 36 states restore felon’s votes after terms of parole, incarceration and probation. This is 48 out of 50 states that have a restriction on felon voting. According to The City Journal, if ex-felons had been able to vote in Florida in 2000—the state currently strips all felons of voting rights—Al Gore almost certainly would have won the presidential election. The votes of convicted felons should certainly not have the power to sway a presidential election. This is what could happen if a law isn’t passed to prevent felons from voting.

Being unable to vote should be part of a felon’s sentence. The main point of a sentence is to show that criminal behavior results in a loss of freedom and the rights freedom offers. Being imprisoned is a punishment and I don’t see why we should adjust the rules and give them this freedom. Passing a law to restrict convicted felons from voting in all 50 states is a necessary course of action. Law abiding citizens deserve the right to vote; those convicted on felony charges have lost that privilege.

Sincerely,


Gretchen B.