Dear Mr. President | Teen Ink

Dear Mr. President

By mcpdancer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
mcpdancer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Mr. President,

Does the federal government have the right to regulate and mandate health care?

This question poses extremely polarized opinions; those opinions being either yes or no. The government has given a clear answer to the people; yes.

Obamacare is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). It is a United States federal statute signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010. The PPACA's primary goal is to decrease the number of uninsured Americans and reducing the overall costs of health care.

This primary goal may seem appealing to the naked eye, but closely examined, it is a catastrophe. Obamacare needs to be repealed immediately. It is unconstitutional, it will greatly increase the deficit, and it will cause millions of Americans to lose their workplace health benefits and force them into government-controlled health insurance.

Obamacare is unconstitutional. This new Act violates the Tenth Amendment which declares: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” The ability to control how private citizens obtain and pay their own health insurance is not among the enumerated powers of Congress, therefore, the law must be alleged to be unconstitutional.

The deficit has increased $5 trillion in the past 4 years under President Barack Obama, making the total national deficit $16 trillion. In 2010, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that the President would meet both his promises of 1) it would not add a dime to the deficit, and 2) it would cost less than $1 trillion over 10 years. Gimmicks were hidden within the CBO's estimation, making the Democrats look to have a fool-proof plan. These gimmicks include: double-counted Medicare savings ($400 billion), double-counted savings from payroll taxes ($29 billion), unaccounted for cost of implantation ($114 billion), and many more. The true gimmick of them all is that is enacted 10 years worth of tax hikes (2010-2019) and only six years worth of new spending (2014-2019). With these gimmicks accounted for, Obamacare will cover provisions around $2.4 trillion, that will drive the deficit up by $700 billion.

"If you like your health care, you can keep it." President Barack Obama made this promise to the American people repeatedly while proposing Obamacare to Congress. According to the CBO, 3-5 million Americans will lose their job-provided health insurance. This will happen because employers will find it cheaper to pay the penalty of not providing health insurance, than to offer it. CBO also says that 3 million could gain coverage as a result of the new law. This sounds good, right? Well, CBO also says that 20 million could lose coverage. With these facts presented, can the President really keep his promise of keeping your own health care if you like it?

Obamacare seems to have more of a negative impact than benefits. It needs to be repealed immediately, and instead present a fresh, new approach. American's should be allowed to keep their confidential doctor-patient relationship. Healthcare should not increase deficit and taxes.

So Mr. President, I ask you to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a new plan. A plan that is constitutional, will allow employees to keep their benefits, and one that will not increase the deficit.
Sincerely,

Maria P.