Second Amendment to the Constitution | Teen Ink

Second Amendment to the Constitution

By WorldWriter SILVER, San Jose, California
WorldWriter SILVER, San Jose, California

YOLO

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” The Second Amendment of the Constitution gives citizens the right to bear arms, and is therefore one of the most important laws of the nation. Ratified in 1791, the Second Amendment has survived more than 200 years of political history; what is more remarkable is that even today, it continues to protect the rights of U.S. citizens. The Second Amendment holds an important value to our nation because, in addition to preventing tyranny, it also protects, spreads, and contributes to the cause of human rights.

From as early as the Revolutionary War, our country has shown a need for protection against corruption and tyranny in government. When the Treaty of Paris declared the U.S. an independent country from Britain, our founding fathers pledged that the nation’s resulting government would only have a limited control over the people; after all, that was why we escaped Britain in the first place: we needed a less regulatory, less corrupt government. The Second Amendment of the Constitution gave us exactly that: not only the right to bear weapons, but also the power to change policies of government if and when it becomes corrupt. Unlike other governmental policies, which come and expire throughout the passage of time, the Second Amendment has been in effect for nearly two hundred years, protecting the nation from corruption and other temptations that come with power; it serves as the basis of our government and national security.

In addition to domestic security, the Second Amendment also protects our nation from foreign countries. The fact that ninety percent of the US population owns guns is intimidating, especially to those countries who are not at good terms with us. War is a terrible phenomenon, but its aftermath is much worse. Useless slaughter takes place for lack of an enemy to fight. Take the French Revolution for example. The absolute monarchy that had ruled for centuries collapsed in a matter of years, only to be replaced by the Reign of Terror, in which even more people were killed! Worst of all, the defenseless peasants and innocent citizens are caught in the center of all this conflict. When militarist countries, such as Germany, expand into other nations, mass execution occurs because the individuals don’t have a means of protecting themselves. If the people were only armed and ready for battle, they wouldn’t have to wait for their country’s military to come for aid. The Second Amendment of the Constitution covers up for this miscalculation. The Battles of Lexington and Concord may have served as a precedent to the creation of the Second Amendment. American colonists at the time, who were armed with weapons, were able to withstand the British forces sent to capture them. Had the colonists not possessed this means of defense, the whole future of the U.S. would have collapsed. The Second Amendment plays a great role in our national security, because it reduces our losses in war and increases our defense system.

Finally, the Second Amendment expands on the cause of human rights. The reason so many talented people are attracted to the United States is that this country is known for emphasis on civil rights and individual freedom. With a means of protecting ourselves and our loved ones, which the Second Amendment justifies, others would not be able to encroach on our rights. Citizens in other countries don’t enjoy civil rights as we do because there is perpetual conflict going on in those countries. Perhaps this is how the U.S. differs from other countries in terms of rights for the people. Without the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms, our nation would lose the uniqueness that makes it shine when compared to foreign nations.

on Jan. 14 2020 at 9:34 am
SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
The reason for the Second Amendment is mainly the opposition to a tyrannical domestic government, though the right to a peoples militia allows us to aid our government in times of peace. And the applications for everyday self-defense are very important in today's world.