The Tyranny of Majority Rule

Imagine you have two friends. One of your two friends, Bob, is having trouble paying his children’s tuition and is asking his closest friends to help him out. Joe, your other friend, immediately gives Bob some money. Joe looks at you, but you stay silent and don’t give Bob any money. Joe threatens you with a gun, and you reluctantly give Bob some money. Is this situation tolerable? Imagine another situation. There are ten friends, and Bob asks each of the other nine friends to loan him some money. Everybody but you gives him money for his children’s education. The group of friends then votes, say, 7-3 that you should give money to Bob. They threaten you with a gun until you give money to Bob. Now, imagine this same situation, but with 300 million people. Is this tolerable?

The point of these hypothetical situations is to show that Majority Rule should have no power in some things. That is the reason for the constitution. Majority Rule is the best and fairest system to make decisions that affect all of us. The majority should only be allowed to make decisions about the 17 powers granted to the federal government in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution. 51% of Americans should not be able to tell me what car I own, what house I buy, or what job I have.