Chances are you're not Mitt Romneys concern | Teen Ink

Chances are you're not Mitt Romneys concern

September 26, 2012
By Anonymous

There are less then 41 days before the election, and Obama continues to hold a steady lead over challenger Mitt Romney. As a matter of fact, Romney’s supporters are actually dropping in number, since video was leaked of the presidential hopeful spewing ill-researched (at best) “statistics”, explaining to a group of his wealthy supporters that, among other things, “47% of people will vote for the president [meaning Obama] no matter what.” No matter what Romney does to try to win them over, “47% of Americans, who are dependent upon the government, who believe that they are the victims, who believe that the government has some sort of responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, you name it.” Yes, these are his actual quotes. He also stated that these are the 47% who pay no income tax. 47% of people, taking no responsibility for their own lives, living off HIS dollar. Actually, no. They aren’t living off his dollar, seeing as he pays a relatively low income tax rate. I should also mention, the 47% that Romney alleges pay no income tax, are made up of, not freeloaders who are too lazy to work, as Romney would have us believe, but retired seniors, who had been paying income taxes their entire working lives. Of people with disabilities, who CAN’T work. Of families with two working parents, who don’t make enough money between them to qualify for income taxes. Of active duty soldiers, who’s combat pay is not taxable by the government. Of those under legal working age. Teenagers, children and babies. No Mitt, we’re sorry but babies can’t pay income taxes, we know this must be a disappointment for you. Actually, of the 47% of Americans paying no income tax, only about 15% could work and pay their “fair share” of taxes, even if they wanted to. Many of these 15% are actively looking for work as well, but Romney seems to have overlooked that. Health care for the sick and dying? For the uninsured? Ridiculous. Food for starving children? Unheard of. A place to sleep for homeless people? What have homeless people ever done for Mitt Romney? In Romney’s world, it’s every man, woman and child for themselves. Romney also stated that “his job is not to worry about those people.” I’ll say it again, if elected president, it would not be Mitt Romney’s job to worry about 47% of Americans. Almost half of the population, the people he hopes to soon govern, are not his concern. One has to wonder, why does he want to be our president so badly anyway? What makes him the better choice? And how can he help our country if he is apposed to even basic human rights?


The author's comments:
Probably a little dated, but my current events teacher asked me to submit this....so, i did.