What Influences Crime? | Teen Ink

What Influences Crime?

September 17, 2012
By LizzieLoveheart SILVER, Halemere, Other
LizzieLoveheart SILVER, Halemere, Other
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friends are like Potatoes; if you eat them they die.


As a teenager the olympics have really opened my eyes to just how vast the world around me is. However, one phrase that I have heard on numerous occasions, when travelling up to London is “Watch out for pickpockets!” As I sat on the tube I peered down the carriage and noticed that every newspaper had crime spilling out of its page. This made me think about the aspect of crime and what influences it?

One headline read “unemployment and poverty numbers expand, so do crime rates.” I realised that our world had backed itself into a corner where money is becoming increasingly harder to acquire, thus making people turn to crime as an easy alternative to work.

I am proud to say that in my local area crime is not something that I feel constantly threatened by. According the Crime Reduction Strategy Progress Report our local police are winning the war against crime on our streets, with as much as a 12 percent drop in the total number of crimes in last year.

However, I know that I am lucky to have this privilege. On the News I am constantly hearing about the challenges of preventing the increasing crime rates from swelling and the difficulties our nation and globe are facing. I want to know what influences crime. Are people turning to it as an alternative to work? Or is it due to a feeling of psychological discrimination?

We live in a community where parents don't worry themselves to death when their children are out on their own, and I believe this is part of what makes our area so pleasant. Conversely, if I were living in London I would feel under a constant threat. In generations to come I hope crimes in every cities will decrease, which will help to achieve a higher quality everyday life for everyone. So what will you do to help achieve this local, national and global ambition?


The author's comments:
This was a piece that was aimed at making people think about what actually influences the crime.