What Influences Crime? | Teen Ink

What Influences Crime?

By LizzieLoveheart SILVER, Halemere, Other
LizzieLoveheart SILVER, Halemere, Other

Friends are like Potatoes; if you eat them they die.

As a teenager the olympics have really opened my eyes to just how vast the world around me is. However, one phrase that I have heard on numerous occasions, when travelling up to London is “Watch out for pickpockets!” As I sat on the tube I peered down the carriage and noticed that every newspaper had crime spilling out of its page. This made me think about the aspect of crime and what influences it?

One headline read “unemployment and poverty numbers expand, so do crime rates.” I realised that our world had backed itself into a corner where money is becoming increasingly harder to acquire, thus making people turn to crime as an easy alternative to work.

I am proud to say that in my local area crime is not something that I feel constantly threatened by. According the Crime Reduction Strategy Progress Report our local police are winning the war against crime on our streets, with as much as a 12 percent drop in the total number of crimes in last year.

However, I know that I am lucky to have this privilege. On the News I am constantly hearing about the challenges of preventing the increasing crime rates from swelling and the difficulties our nation and globe are facing. I want to know what influences crime. Are people turning to it as an alternative to work? Or is it due to a feeling of psychological discrimination?

We live in a community where parents don't worry themselves to death when their children are out on their own, and I believe this is part of what makes our area so pleasant. Conversely, if I were living in London I would feel under a constant threat. In generations to come I hope crimes in every cities will decrease, which will help to achieve a higher quality everyday life for everyone. So what will you do to help achieve this local, national and global ambition?

This was a piece that was aimed at making people think about what actually influences the crime.

on Sep. 27 2012 at 6:38 am
This is great -read it during my evening cuddle with my wife and snake. Some of the most spectacular points stayed with me all day even during Zumba when I completely release myself to the spirits. Anyway it's awesome as my grandson says #downwiththekids! LOL. Stick with the Status Quo and you'll eventually bop to the top! 

on Sep. 27 2012 at 6:24 am
Fab article guys, cuddled up with my wife and snake for our daily read and found this piece. It has stayed with me all day and I feel inspired and think your points are unbelievably enlightning. it's AWESOME as my grandson says #downwiththekids! LOL. Stick to the status quo then eventually you'll bop to the top! 

on Sep. 27 2012 at 6:18 am
Fab article! Really enlightning and a all round bedtime read. My wife and i cuddled up for our cosy evening read and were delightfully suprised by this inspirational piece. loads of love to the authors! You guys are AWESOME as my grandson says!  #downwiththekids

JadeH36 said...
on Sep. 24 2012 at 8:09 am
JadeH36, Haslemere, Alaska

I agree with what you have written. I think your article is very thought provoking! I personally believe that crime is down to how the individual has been brought up. For example, if they were brought up in a family known for crime, you are more likely to commit a crime in later life. I live the USA and I agree with the fact that in some areas I feel more under threat than others. Great read, well done!