The Destructive Misguided

“Isn't it interesting that a country founded to allow freedom from religious persecution is now using religion to persecute freedoms?” -Anonymous
Well isn’t this interesting? Apparently, marital rights are only available to some.
In 1996, the United States Congress signed Defense of Marriage Act, which, in essence, limited marriage to one man and one woman. But why? The decision, no matter how you slice it, is based on religion, or, more specifically, Christianity. I’m not targeting Christianity, nor am I trying to portray it in a negative light. However, we live in a nation that has enforced Separation of Church and State; ergo, keep religion out of government.

Others disregard this. Many far-right groups (such as the American Family Association) think that it’s totally fine for two people who genuinely love each other to get married-as long as they’re straight. If they happened to be gay, oh no. No amount of love can conquer someone’s interpretation of the Bible, right? Being a Christian who protests gay marriage is like being on a diet and getting mad at people who eat hamburgers. It’s their decision. Many anti-gay supporters are saying that gay marriage is threatening the, “sanctity of marriage.” Do you know what the, “sanctity of marriage” means, exactly? It used to mean that a woman was her father’s property until she got married. Then she was her husband’s property. Don’t rant about wanting marriage to stay, “traditional.” Watch what you say. Said former presidential candidate Rick Santorum, “[Gay marriage] threatens my marriage. It threatens all marriages. It threatens the traditional values of this country.”

Now times have changed since the days when those were common ideals. President Barack Obama, the most powerful man in the world, made the courageous decision to do what no other former US president ever did. He openly supported gay marriage. For a man with such vehement opposition to make such a bold statement
You’d think in 2012, we’d have this all sorted out. The United States, the land of the free, and one of the most politically advanced nations in the world, would have struck down such bigotry. As time goes on, however, the nation becomes more and more progressive. And remember, no one of significance has ever looked upon their ancestors and commended them for taking away rights.

MaxineAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jon, don't you know what America is based off of? Natural law. The idea of our country is that there are morals and laws that are not to be bent or broken, and that we should defend them. And the sancitity of marriage does not mean anything like you describe it. It means that marriage is holy, it doesn't mean it's a sale, as you basically say.   You don't have to be Christian to believe in right and wrong. The idea that there is no right or wrong is a Communist idea. 

Sölvi said...
Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:09 am:
  You speak what I´m thinking, I do hope that the States will get better and stop discriminating people based on their choice of mate, male or female.

Quispiam said...
Finally! I Love your take on things.and the quote in the beginings amazing! Love it!