Commercialization | Teen Ink

Commercialization

I sit here at my computer, on a moral overload. People’s opinions, thoughts, likes, dislikes, they all spin around in my head, bouncing off the walls and threatening to take over my very being. There are so many different views on even the simplest things. Whole grain pasta is better for your heart blah blah blah. You can’t wear that! What are you a tablecloth? Do this, do that. We are controlled by so many factors in our lives. We look at other people’s opinions and we change ourselves to fit. But we will never fit like a glove, not it someone else’s adopted opinion. Sure you try to make it your own, convince your family and friends that you like this now. You can even persuade yourself into thinking that this is the new me. I'm better this way. Why do we do this? Well it’s because we are human. We long for acceptance, for a friend. But our own species is self-destructive and counterproductive to whom we are. We are not the same. That is the bottom line of humanity. No one is exactly like us. Yes you can find people who are similar, but those are two different concepts. We can find people similar but we will never find anyone exactly like us. So we need to stop looking. Companies control us as well. They see a new generation of impressionable teens that they can manipulate, always making sure that achieving their twisted view of ‘perfect’ standard is impossible; saying that if you want to be ‘pretty’ or ‘thin’ you have to follow their standards. Well take a stand here girls! We need to accept that we can never reach that standard, because it is impossible. You are beautiful and amazing just the way you are because you were made like that! These companies feed off our insecurity. Ooohh, you want to be prettier? Then rub this product, which is mostly made up of water, on your face! It only costs 19.99 for a bottle! I mean really? How stupid do they think we are? Hear, listen to this! I'm gonna give you TWO bottle of our mmmaagggiiicccaaalll water for 1! Come on! They tell us how pretty we have to be in their eyes. Not the peoples who it matter most. Oh no, you can’t look like that! You have to be thinner than a pencil before anyone will look at you. They make size 00 jeans now. Last time I checked, just one 0 would suffice, and even that is crazy. These corporations run us into the ground with our self-images. So take a stand. 81% of 8 year olds are afraid of being fat. Eating disorders are 50% because of the environment around us. if that doesn’t show what the worlds images can do to us, I don’t know what else to tell you. Take a stand. You are beautiful so act like it.