The Times They Are A- Changin' With Jonathan Krohn | Teen Ink

The Times They Are A- Changin' With Jonathan Krohn

By surrealnow GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
surrealnow GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska

I guess it’s the fact that teens generally are quite naïve in their sense of personal direction and intellectual endeavors that made the kid conservative political theorist Jonathon Krohn swing from one end of the spectrum to the other faster than most politicians ever do in a lifetime.
Just recently, the now 17-year-old Krohn, who spoke at CPAC and Tea Party conventions as author of his own book “Defining Conservatism” years ago, spoke for the first time as a newborn “mature” individualist on MSNBC. I am proud to see that the young man has opened up as a liberalist. He has become himself; he has become existential despite his “labelphobia”. And he has a keen interest in philosophy, reading the works of Nietzsche, Kant, and Hegel.

But being as open minded as I am, I found his “social conservatism” to be intriguing and original. Yes, the term may seem contradictory but in all truth, it worked. Krohn defined his theory based off the four principles of minimal government (that’s probably where the social part comes into play), respect for life, personal responsibility, and the constitution; its essence not being in politics but in ideology, which he claimed was different than many Americans’ dualistic views.

It wasn’t until later the boy witnessed collective opposition American conservatives created against homosexuality. Causally, Krohn really didn’t like that, so he began reconsidering his views. Currently Jonathon invests time into studies outside politics, namely, his major as an upcoming freshman at New York University, filmmaking.

Jonathon Krohn is not necessarily a battle prize won for leftism. I’m just happy he has grown, realized, and learned.