Impressions | Teen Ink

Impressions

What comes to mind when you think of a typical American? Do you think of a person in a high rise or mansion in Beverly Hills, or do you think of the people who can’t afford much and have a very hard time feeding their families and have to sleep on the streets? Many people from different cultures have different points of view on American’s. We found out that most African’s think that everyone who live in America is rich.

When you think of the people in Africa what do you think about? People begging or stealing food, and kids working in fields. Did you know that most African kids go to school sometime in their lifetime? And that the crime rate in all of Africa is less than the crime rate in America.

Many people don’t realize how similar our cultures are, even though we are separated by a huge ocean. Many people have very stereotypical points of view on cultures that they don’t know much or anything about. I have now realized that it’s not only American’s that have stereotypes for other people and countries. We think that we are so normal and everyone else is so different, but it’s usually the other way around.

It's about the way people view Americans and African's